Africa has the most exciting opportunities of any continent, yet it is not without its challenges. Partnering with experienced advisors is essential in delivering a successful outcome in any venture. Fasken Martineau’s long established presence and market leading reputation in Africa enables us to be perfectly placed to assist our clients in exploring the exciting opportunities this continent has to offer.
With over 30 years experience in virtually every African country, we have led high-profile deals in almost all of Africa’s key industry growth sectors particularly mining, energy, telecommunications and industrial projects. Our capabilities in this market are backed up by having one of the largest teams of lawyers dedicated to Africa of the international firms, comprising a multidisciplinary team handling transactions and litigation matters across the full range of industries and practices.
We have experience representing governments, state-owned entities, public and private corporations, private equity and leveraged-buyout firms, institutional and private investors, as well as banks and financial advisors.
We assist clients based in Africa as well as those seeking to establish strategic investments in the region. Our team understands local business practices and cultural etiquette. Our close relationships with local counsel and other local players and authorities, coupled with our deep understanding of socio-political considerations, enable us to provide rapid, practical and tailored advice to our clients.
- Acquisitions and disposals of businesses or assets
- Capital markets and securities matters
- Financings by banks and multilaterals, including local security packages
- Project structuring (including tax and customs) and development
- Environmental, social and regulatory matters
- Risk mitigation (including political risk and trade credit insurance)
- Pre-contentious/contentious issues, including litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution procedures (including those before local jurisdictions)
- Public international law, including international boundary disputes
- Sovereign debt restructurings and issuances
- Joint ventures