Aviation regulation and liability is a niche practice area requiring highly skilled practitioners. Our Aviation Group has significant experience acting for aviation insurers, underwriters and the Transportation Safety Board of Canada in prosecuting and defending numerous types of aviation claims. We represent domestic and international air carriers and airports, as well as aircraft, components and engine manufacturers for both fixed-wing and rotary aircraft. We also act for a number of syndicates in the Lloyd's of London aviation market and are able to provide legal services to clients in the UK and Europe as a result of our merger with London firm Stringer Saul LLP. Additionally, members of the Aviation Group have represented numerous fixed wing and rotary aircraft operators in claims arising from aircraft damage and loss.
We have advised and represented clients on regulatory matters that include:
- Transport Canada with air operator and foreign air operator certification and amendments and aerodrome registration;
- Canadian Transportation Agency with licensing, tariffs, air service price advertising, Canadian ownership rules; advocacy with passenger complaints including mistaken fares, flight delays, and baggage; and service schedules;
- Canadian Border Services Agency with bonded air carrier operations;
- Licences to operate, new air service assistance agreements, and leases of terminal space with airport authorities; and
- Immigration Canada with intra-company transfer of senior staff and applications for work permits and visas and renewals.
Our work for airlines includes negotiating agreements in relation to maintenance, payment card processing, travel agents, airline employees and independent contractors.
Avon Mersey, Chair of the Aviation Group, has been recognized by the Canadian Legal Expert (LEXPERT) Directory as a leading practitioner in the field of Aviation (Regulation and Liability). The group is actively involved with Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC), which represents the Canadian air transport industry and the Aviation Insurance Association (AIA), a not-for-profit association dedicated to the expansion and promotion of the aviation insurance industry through numerous educational programs and events.