Brian O'Byrne practises labour relations, employment and human rights law. He provides general counsel and advice with respect to a variety of matters including restructurings and downsizings, employee terminations, employment agreements and policies, privacy rights, union organizational campaigns, collective agreement interpretation, workers' compensation, pay equity, employment standards and occupational health and safety matters. Brian also represents clients in a full range of litigation matters involving employment, labour and human rights issues before the courts as well as the various tribunals that deal with these matters. He also spends a significant portion of his time negotiating collective agreements on behalf of both private and public sector clients and representing clients before interest arbitration boards. He has particular expertise in interest arbitrations having acted as counsel or employer nominee in well over 100 such cases.
Brian is a frequent speaker on various labour, employment and human rights issues at professional conferences and seminars. Over the last few years, he has spoken at such events in Canada's major centres - Toronto, Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver as well as in the United States of America and England. He also conducts various seminars and training programs for clients.
Brian has also written various articles and commentaries on labour, employment and human rights issues. He is the author of the chapter on Canadian labour and employment law in the European Lawyer Reference book published by Thomson Reuters, entitled Labour and Employment Law and is also the editor of the Canadian Chapter in the textbook International and EU Employment Law published by Jordans in the United Kingdom.
Brian joined the firm as a partner in 1989.
Honours and Awards
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 for Labour & Employment
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015-2016 for Employment Law and Labour Relations
- Chambers Global 2014-2015 for Employment and Labour
- Chambers Canada 2016 and 2017 for Employment and Labour: Ontario
- Legal 500 Canada 2016 for Labour and Employment
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2006-2017 for Labour and Employment Law
- Who's Who Legal (International and Canadian editions)
- The Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Labour and Employment Lawyers
- Practical Law Company's Which Lawyer?
- Recognized as an Acritas Star™ Lawyer 2016
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association