Climate change is a significant and complex issue around the world. Government regulations are in flux, providing both challenges and opportunities for regulated businesses and carbon market participants. Since 1997, Fasken Martineau has been active on climate change matters on behalf of our clients.
We help clients assess and respond to regulatory environments and government policy related to climate change. We also help source and leverage business opportunities arising from international and domestic compliance and voluntary carbon markets.
Our multidisciplinary team provides clients with a comprehensive range of legal services to effectively assess and manage carbon risk, advise on emission reduction strategies and projects, access and participate in carbon markets, and monitor and advocate on government regulation and policy.
Our clients include regulators, carbon project originators, aggregators, buyers and sellers, as well as regulated entities, financial institutions and investment banks.
- Analyze and assist in assessing carbon exposure and mitigation strategies
- Negotiating carbon intensive product procurement and supply agreements
- Carbon project origination, validation and verification
- Monitor, advocate and advise on legislative regimes and policy applicable to climate change issues
- Draft and negotiate agreements concerning the sale and purchase of carbon products
- Carbon finance
- Climate change risk disclosure obligations
- Advise on clean development mechanism and joint implementation projects