Executive Compensation and Benefits
Our tax lawyers work closely with our labour/employment law team and securities law team to address complex employee and executive compensation and benefits issues. Our team approach enables us to identify creative and cutting edge solutions for a variety of Canadian and international clients.
This involves not only the offering of an optimal combination of equity and cash to executives, but an understanding of the tax implications in offering such compensation. Taxation can significantly diminish the benefits of any compensation package. To preserve the value of such compensation, companies need lawyers with extensive experience and strategic approaches to complicated tax planning issues.
In today’s competitive environment, businesses must provide tax-efficient compensation and benefits to attract, retain, and motivate the highest quality workforce. Our lawyers will analyze and ensure your executives are adequately compensated for their contributions to your company.
We act for public and private businesses and senior officers and directors of such businesses.
We provide advice on:
- Planning, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of executive compensation arrangements including all types of employee benefit plans
- Advising on all types of equity and cash-based plans
- Advising on deferred compensation arrangements including compliance with the salary deferral arrangement rules
- Counsel to senior executives of public and private companies in connection with the negotiation and implementation of employment agreements
- Advice to clients on international individual tax and employment law issues including the treatment of employees in international transactions and global equity arrangements
- Opinions on qualified investments for purposes of Canadian registered plans including private company shares