John Grieve is the leader of the firm's Global Insolvency and Restructuring Group. His practice is focused on complex commercial reorganizations. His insolvency and restructuring expertise has been recognized in Chambers Global, Euromoney, The Best Lawyers in Canada, LEXPERT and the Martindale Hubbell.
John has acted as counsel for the Debtor in the reorganizations of Adanac Molybdenum, 360 networks, St. Eugene's Mission and Napier Environmental Technologies. He has also acted as counsel for a major creditor of Coremark International Inc., Three Sisters Mountain Village Copper Point Resort, Canada 3000, Xillix Technologies Corp., Bricore Land Group, Brussels Chocolates and Glas-Aire Industries and counsel for the Receiver in Monitor for Pope & Talbot Ltd. (CCAA and Receivership), K2 Developments (Receivership), Ascalade Communications Ltd. (CCAA), Mariposa Stores (CCAA), United Used Auto (CCAA and Receivership) and Eron Mortgage Corporation (Judicial Trusteeship). Many of John's assignments include publicly-traded corporations. Accordingly, he has developed both an interest and an expertise in capital restructuring in the context of insolvency as well as utilization of tax losses.
John's catalogue of clients includes: Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia, Toronto Dominion Bank, HSBC Bank Canada, VanCity Savings, Century Services Ltd., Tallin Capital, PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., KPMG Inc., Deloitte, Ernst & Young Inc. and RSM Richter Inc.
John provides legal services through John Grieve Law Corporation.
Honours and Awards
- Chambers Global in 2009 - 2013, Restructuring/Insolvency (Canada)
- Named as an “local litigation star” in British Columbia and a “litigation star” for insolvency in Canada by Benchmark Canada, 2013
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2009-2013, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring
- Who's Who Legal 2011-2012, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2009-2012, Most Frequently Recommended, Insolvency &
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Most Frequently Recommended, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” ranking (High to Very High), Insolvency Law
- Member and Lecturer, Insolvency Institute of Canada (2000)
- Banking, Environmental and Insolvency Sections, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Insol International
- Turnaround Management Association
- Lecturer, Insolvency-related Continuing Legal Education Seminars and at the Professional Legal Training Course
- Lecturer, Asia Pacific Institute
- Lecturer, Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals
- Lecturer, The University of British Columbia Seminar, "Advanced Topics in Corporate Law"
- Lecturer, Simon Fraser University, "Financing Growth and Business Development"
- Speaker, Superintendent of Bankruptcy's Programme on The Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act