John Grieve is the leader of the firm's Global Insolvency and Restructuring Group. His practice is focused on complex commercial reorganizations. His insolvency and restructuring expertise has been recognized in Chambers Global, Euromoney, Best Lawyers in Canada, Who’s Who Legal, Lexpert, Benchmark and Martindale Hubbell.
John has acted as counsel for the Debtor in the reorganizations of Bear Mountain, Adanac Molybdenum, 360 networks, St. Eugene's Mission and Napier Environmental Technologies. He has also acted as counsel for a major creditor in Bear Mountain, Coremark International Inc, Three Sisters Mountain Village Copper Point Resort, Canada 3000, Xillix Technologies Corp, Bricore Land Group, Brussels Chocolates and Glas-Aire Industries and counsel for the Receiver or Monitor in Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, Sterling Shoes, Pope & Talbot Ltd (CCAA and Receivership), K2 Developments (Receivership), Ascalade Communications Ltd (CCAA), Mariposa Stores (CCAA), United Used Auto (CCAA and Receivership) and Eron Mortgage Corporation (Judicial Trusteeship). John has recently been acting as representative counsel for some 3700 investors in CCAA of League Investments. Many of John's assignments include publicly-traded corporations. Accordingly, he has developed both an interest and an expertise in capital restructuring in the context of insolvency as well as utilization of tax losses.
John's catalogue of clients includes: Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia, Toronto Dominion Bank, HSBC Bank Canada, VanCity Savings, Century Services Ltd, Tallin Capital, PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc, KPMG Inc, Deloitte, Ernst & Young Inc, Alvarez Marsal, FTI Consulting and Duff & Phelps.
Honours and Awards
- Best Lawyers® in Canada 2006-2017 for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016 for Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- Chambers Canada 2016 for Restructuring/Insolvency
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2016 in Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 for Insolvency & Restructuring
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2009-2016, Consistently recommended for Insolvency (Financial Restructuring)
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 for Restructuring and Insolvency
- IFLR1000 2015 for Restructuring and Insolvency
- Who's Who Legal 2011-2016 for Insolvency and Restructuring
- Named as a “local litigation star” in British Columbia and a “litigation star” for insolvency in Canada by Benchmark Canada, 2013-2014
- Chambers Global 2009-2015 for Restructuring/Insolvency (Canada)
- The Legal 500 Canada 2014 for Restructuring and Insolvency
- IFLR1000 2014 for Restructuring and Insolvency
- International Financial Law Review 2014 for Restructuring and Insolvency
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Most Frequently Recommended for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring
- Best Lawyers' 2011 for Vancouver Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Lawyer of the Year
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” ranking (High to Very High), Insolvency Law
- Member and Lecturer, Insolvency Institute of Canada (2000)
- Banking, Environmental and Insolvency Sections, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Insol International
- Turnaround Management Association
- Lecturer, Insolvency-related Continuing Legal Education Seminars and at the Professional Legal Training Course
- Lecturer, Asia Pacific Institute
- Lecturer, Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals
- Lecturer, The University of British Columbia Seminar, "Advanced Topics in Corporate Law"
- Lecturer, Simon Fraser University, "Financing Growth and Business Development"
- Speaker, Superintendent of Bankruptcy's Programme on The Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act