Karen is a partner in the Toronto office's Labour, Employment and Human Rights group. She carries on a general employment and labour law practice acting on behalf of large and small employers in both the public and private sectors. Included in the scope of Karen's practice are the areas of employment contracts, wrongful dismissal, departing employee litigation, human rights, employment standards, workplace safety and insurance, union relations, labour arbitrations and pay equity.
Karen provides day-to-day advice to employers in relation to both non-union and unionized workplaces. She also represents employers before courts, boards of arbitration and various administrative tribunals, such as the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Ministry of Labour Employment Practices Branch, Human Rights Commission, Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal and Pay Equity Hearings Tribunal.
A regular speaker at conferences and to groups of management employees about a wide variety of employment and labour matters, Karen writes regular articles for a number of legal publications. Karen also edits the Firm's weekly HR Space Bulletin, as well as Northern Exposure – Employment Law for US Companies with Operations in Canada, a blog published by HR Hero.com. Karen also edits the Canadian content of 50 Employment Laws in 50 States.
Karen is the Chair of the Firm's Ontario Professional Development Committee.
Honours and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015-2017 for Labour and Employment Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015-2016 for Employment Law
- Chambers Canada 2016 and 2017 for Employment and Labour: Ontario
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association - Labour and Employment Law Section
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, The Employers Counsel Network