Paul chairs the firm’s Energy group. His practice focus includes energy, mining and infrastructure. He leads the firm's legal teams in relation to major projects and is involved in preparing and negotiating project contracts, concession agreements, obtaining environmental assessment and project approvals, and dealing with project development and project financing matters.
Paul is also active in the firm’s Aboriginal, Environmental and Mining groups. He advises clients in the energy, pipeline, mining, port and railway, manufacturing, chemical and forest sectors across Western Canada and Canada’s northern territories. He has successfully represented industry clients in the negotiation and completion of numerous business arrangements with First Nations and Aboriginal groups, including joint ventures, participation agreements, exploration agreements, impact benefit agreements, accommodation agreements. He has also advised industry regarding financings affected by Aboriginal interests and on and off-reserve development projects.
Paul recently completed a term as the Chair of Fasken Martineau’s Partnership Board. He is listed in the Chambers Global, Best Lawyers in Canada, Who’s Who Legal and the Canadian Legal Lexpert® guides.
Honours and Awards
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2016 for Energy Law
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2009-2016 for Environmental Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® 2015 for Energy
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 for Environmental Law
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 for Energy: Oil and Gas, Environment
- The Legal 500 Canada 2014 for Energy: Oil and Gas
- Chambers Global 2014-2015 for Environmental Law (Canada)
- Who’s Who Legal 2012-2013 for Environmental Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® 2013 for Corporate Finance & Securities Law
- Lexpert® Ranked Energy Lawyers, Report on Business, October 2013
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® 2012 for Aboriginal Law
- Vancouver Board of Trade
- Canadian Institute of Energy
- Energy and Natural Resource Sections, Canadian Bar Association