Jean M. Gagné specializes in commercial and business law, specifically in mergers, acquisitions, as well as public and private financings in the mining industry. In addition to this, he negotiates major commercial contracts related to this field.
He has extensive experience in business transactions in the mining industry. Over the past 30 years, he has participated in the finalization of financings and major transactions in this sector, and has played a key role in negotiating a number of sizable projects in Québec and elsewhere, including several cooperation agreements with First Nations. He possesses a thorough knowledge of legal regimes, especially the environmental legislation that applies in the territories that are covered by the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement, as well as in those that are not. He also helped set up the complete legal framework for the construction of important mining projects both within and outside Canada. In the course of his practice, he has developed expertise in corporate governance. Finally, he has vast experience in the field of not-for-profit organizations, having represented many organizations in their restructuring and transaction projects.
Jean’s expertise is recognized domestically and internationally. He appears in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions of the directory Best Lawyers in Canada, in the natural resources category. He was also nominated as one of the world’s leading practitioners in the international directory Who's Who in Mining (2011, 2012 and 2013 editions).
Since 2012, Jean has been a member of the board of directors of Minalliance, a group of associations and entities in the mining sector. He also chairs the organization’s governance committee.
Honours and Awards
- Named "Lawyer of the Year - Corporate Law" in Québec City by The Best Lawyers in Canada (2015 edition)
- Recognized by the Who's Who Legal 100 in the area of Mining (since 2013)
- Recognized as one of Canada's best Corporate Law lawyers in The Best Lawyers in Canada (2010-2015 editions)
- Recognized as one of the leading Canadian practitioners in the area of aboriginal law and mining by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Nominated by International Legal Who's Who in Mining 2011, 2012 and 2013, as one of the world's leading practitioners in his field
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Guest speaker, Association de planification fiscale et financière
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member, Association de l'exploration minière du Québec
- Chairman of Institut Mallet’s board of directors of for the advancement of philanthropic culture
- Chairman of Chaire de recherche Marcelle-Mallet’s steering committee on philanthropic culture
- Member of the board of directors of Minalliance
- Vice-chair of the board of directors of the Fondation de l'Institut Universitaire de cardiologie et pneumologie de Québec
- Secretary, Fondation Père Raymond-Bernier
- Member of the board, Centre Signes d'Espoir