Jean M. Gagné specializes in commercial and business law, specifically in mergers and acquisitions, public and private financing in the mining and forestry industries, and drafting all manner of commercial contracts. As well, he advises many not-for-profit organizations on their corporate and transactional matters.
He has extensive experience in business transactions in the mining and forestry industries. As such, he has represented many major pulp and paper and mining companies over the past 25 years. He has participated in the finalization of financing and major transactions in these sectors of the lumber industry, and has played a role in negotiating a number of cooperation agreements with First Nations. He possesses a thorough knowledge of legal regimes, especially the environmental legislation that apply in the territories that are covered by the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement, as well as in those that are not. He has also participated in setting up the complete legal framework for the construction of important mining projects both within and outside Canada. He regularly negotiates joint venture and off-take agreements in the mining sector, and has developed expertise in corporate governance. Finally, he has vast experience in the field of not-for-profit organizations, having represented many organizations in their restructuring and transaction projects.
Honours and Awards
- Recognized as one of Canada's best Corporate Law lawyers in The Best Lawyers in Canada (2010-2013 editions)
- Nominated by International Legal Who's Who in Mining 2011, 2012 and 2013, as one of the world's leading practitioners in his field
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Guest speaker, Association de planification fiscale et financière
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member, Association de l'exploration minière du Québec
- Chairman of Institut Mallet’s board of directors of for the advancement of philanthropic culture
- Chairman of Chaire de recherche Marcelle-Mallet’s steering committee on philanthropic culture
- Member of the board of directors of Minalliance
- Vice-chair of the board of directors of the Fondation de l'Institut Universitaire de cardiologie et pneumologie de Québec
- Vice President and Secretary, Fondation Père Raymond-Bernier
- Secretary-Treasurer, Centre Signes d'Espoir, Atelier Le coup De Main, Fondation Signes d'Espoir