Ralph Nero is leader of the Labour, Employment and Human Rights Group which is comprised of approximately 110 lawyers in offices located in Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Québec City, Calgary, Ottawa, London, and Johannesburg.
Ralph practises in all areas of labour, employment and human rights law, with a particular focus on business transactions, executive compensation, executive contracts and restrictive covenants. Ralph also has expertise in business immigration and workers' compensation. Ralph regularly provides labour and employment advice in all forms of commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and insolvency-related transactions. In this area, Ralph's expertise includes strategic planning, negotiation, successor employer and large-scale reorganization issues, as well as drafting all forms of employment-related agreements. Ralph also regularly advises clients on a full range of labour, employment and human rights issues, including employment policies and practices.
Ralph's recent experience includes:
- As part of a multi-billion dollar global transaction, coordinated the labour and employment issues across Canada, including negotiation of relevant portions of the commercial agreements, drafting a variety of employment-related agreements and strategic planning relating to the acquisition.
- Represented a foreign purchaser in the acquisition of a multi-jurisdictional Canadian business, including due diligence, negotiation of the purchase agreement, drafting employment and related contracts and strategic planning relating to reorganization of the business.
- Represented many debtors and purchasers in insolvency-related transactions, including evaluation and insulation of existing liabilities and drafting all forms of employment and commercial agreements relating to the insolvency or bankruptcy.
Ralph joined the firm as an associate in 1990, and became a partner in 1997.
Honours and Awards
- Legal 500 Canada 2014-2015 for Labour and Employment
- Member, Canada and Ontario Bar Association - Labour and Immigration Sections