David Wotherspoon, Partner, is a commercial litigator whose cases regularly involve social media, intellectual property, technology and defamation. David has acted for clients such as TELUS, Hermès, BHP Billiton, Anglo American, the Law Society of British Columbia, the Vancouver Canucks and numerous early stage companies, as well as individuals. In addition to acting as an advocate in the courts, David acts as neutral and as counsel in arbitrations.
Many of David's cases have involved protecting businesses that have been targeted in a way that requires intense and swift action and often injunctions to safeguard clients' rights. David continually delivers extraordinary success in this particular area of his practice.
As a litigator, David always applies a business-oriented approach looking for solutions to problems.
Honours and Awards
- Named as a “local litigation star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada, 2013
- Awarded a Silver ranking for both anti-counterfeiting and trademark enforcement expertise in the 2013 edition of the WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, published by World Trademark Review
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011-2012, Computer and IT Law
- Outstanding Achievement Award in the Best Publications category for British Columbia Business Disputes from the International Association for Continuing Legal Education. Co-authored the chapter on IP Disputes
- Named as an "Intellectual Property Star" in Canada and as a "Local Litigation Star" in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada
- Named as "Leading Trade-mark Practitioner" by World Trademark Review
- Director, Peace Geeks
- Director, Environmental Youth Alliance
- Volunteer, Pivot Legal Society
- Governor (past), Collingwood School
- Governor (past), Emily Carr University of Art + Design