Andrew Borrell is a recognized leader in the defence of class actions. Since the introduction of the Class Proceedings Act in British Columbia in 1995, Andrew has represented defendants in dozens of class actions in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. Andrew has defended claims across a broad range of fields including medical products, pharmaceuticals, product liability, prospectus misrepresentation, corporate reorganization, commercial conduct and various consumer claims. Andrew has also advised defendants who anticipate defending class actions or seek to limit their exposure to class actions. Andrew was the founder and first Chair of the Class Action section of the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association (2000 - 2002) and has written and lectured on various aspects of class action practice. The National Post lists Andrew in their ''Best Lawyers in Canada'' directory in the Class Action Litigation category. Lexpert selected Andrew for its 2002 ''Top 40 Under 40''.
Andrew has acted as counsel in a variety of corporate and commercial litigation cases. Andrew is an active member of the firm's Class Action and Commercial Litigation practice groups.
Honours and Awards
- Chambers Global 2017 for Dispute Resolution
- Named "Class Action Litigator of the Year" by Benchmark Canada 2017
- Chambers Canada 2016-2017 for Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defense)
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2006-2017 for Class Action Litigation
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2010-2016 for Class Action
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2015 Repeatedly recommended for Class Action
- Named as a “local litigation star” in British Columbia and a “litigation star” for class action in Canada by Benchmark Canada, 2013-2014
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2014 for Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Named as a “future star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada, 2012
- Founder and first Chair, Class Action Section, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) (2000-2003)
- Class Action; Civil Litigation; and Securities Sections; Canadian Bar Association, (BC Branch)