Lata Casciano is a member of the firm’s Securities and Mergers & Acquisitions Group. Her law practice encompasses all aspects of securities, mergers and acquisitions, and investment funds and registration issues. Lata has acted as issuer's counsel and underwriters' counsel in a variety of domestic and cross-border public and private financings, and mergers and acquisitions including takeover bids. She regularly advises clients on ongoing compliance matters, including ongoing disclosure requirements and corporate governance matters as well as applications for relief from regulatory requirements.
From 1993 to 1997, Lata worked for the British Columbia Securities Commission (BCSC) as Senior Legal Counsel and Policy Advisor in the Policy and Legislation Division, and from 1989 to 1992 she worked for the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) as Solicitor, initially in the Legal Adviser's Office and then in the Corporate Finance Branch. While at the Commissions, Lata developed legislation and policy related to securities regulations, primarily in relation to corporate finance matters, including mutual funds, derivatives, real estate securities and mortgage syndicates. Lata also represented the Commissions on numerous committees.
Honours and Awards
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2017 for Natural Resources Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2014-2016 Repeatedly recommended for Investment Funds and Asset Management
- Securities Section, Canadian Bar Association, (BC Branch)
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Association for Mineral Exploration of British Columbia