Tony conducts a broad practice in corporate commercial, civil, criminal/quasi-criminal and administrative litigation, with particular emphasis on class actions, antitrust/competition litigation, securities litigation, corporate/white-collar crime, injunctive relief, constitutional litigation, product liability, health law and employment matters. He has experience at the trial and appellate level and before administrative tribunals, and has appeared as counsel before all levels of court in Ontario as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. Towhny has experience in assisting individuals and corporations being investigated and charged under various statutes, including matters with parallel civil and criminal/quasi-criminal components. Tony also has experience in the use of advanced techniques in bringing disputes to early determination or settlement.
Tony is recognized as a leading Italian-Canadian under the age of 40. According to The Next Generation Made in Canada: the Italian Way, a book published by the Italian Chamber of Commerce of Ontario, Tony is an "accomplished litigation lawyer that regularly engages in high-profile, high stakes litigation".
Tony is a member of the firm’s Litigation, Antitrust/Competition and Health Law Groups. Tony also serves on the firm's Law School Liaison and Advocacy Workshop Committees.
Tony is an adjunct professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and York University. He also teaches at Osgoode Hall's Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop. Tony is a frequent lecturer and author on a wide variety of topics, both on substantive legal issues (class actions, competition law, search and seizure/regulatory investigations, the law of privilege, health law) and skill-based training (advocacy negotiations, cross-examinations, trial practice, civil procedure and risk management).
Tony is a member of numerous community, professional and academic organizations. Tony was an adjudicator on the Senate Appeals and Academic Standing Committees of York University and Osgoode Hall Law School. He is a director on the alumni boards of York University and Osgoode Hall Law School. Tony is also an active member of the Advocates' Society, having served on the Steering Committee for the Advocates Society’s Symposium on Civility and Professionalism and currently serving as Vice-Chair to the Young Advocates' Standing Committee. Tony is a past member of York University's Senate and Board of Governors.
Honours and Awards
- Recognized as a leading Italian-Canadian under the age of 40 by the Italian Chamber of Commerce of Ontario
- Dean's Gold Key, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Dean's Fellow, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Murray G. Ross Award (York University's highest academic honour)
- Torkin Manes Cohen & Arbus LLP Prize (academic excellence and community service)
- Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP Prize (academic excellence and leadership)
- Top Quintile Designation as an Exceptional Negotiator, "Lawyer as Negotiator" course, Osgoode Hall Law School
- York University Alumni Association Board of Directors (Director; Chair, Awards Committee)
- Osgoode Hall Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors (Director; Vice-Chair, Awards Committee)
- Chair, Osgoode Hall Law School Mentorship Program
- Elected Governor, York University (past)
- Brazilian Carnival Ball Organizing Committee (past)
- Senator, York University Senate (past)
- Instructor, Hockey Association for the Developmentally Challenged (past)
- Small Claims Pro Bono Counsel Project, Pro Bono Law Ontario
- The Advocates' Society (Vice-Chair to the Young Advocates' Standing Committee; member, Education Committee; past member, Operations, Governance and Finance Committee)
- Canadian Bar Association (Criminal Matters and Private Matters Committees, CBA National Competition Law Section)
- Ontario Bar Association (Civil Litigation and Class Action Sections)
- American Bar Association (Anti-Trust Section; Co-Chair of American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section Regional Sub-Committee (Canada) on White Collar Crime)
- Defence Research Institute
- Toronto Lawyers' Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Italian Chamber of Commerce of Ontario
- Canadian Italian Advocates Organization (Director)
- Phi Delta Phi