Antoine Aylwin practices administrative, civil and commercial litigation. He works in the following fields: estate litigation, access to information in documents held by public bodies, protection of personal information in the public and private sectors, public and administrative law, disciplinary law and extraordinary remedies such as injunctions and judicial review.
He regularly pleads before various judicial courts and administrative tribunals, including the Commission d'accès à l'information and the Régie des marchés agricoles et alimentaires.
He is often asked to speak or write about privacy and information protection and estate law. Mtre. Aylwin is an editorialist for the Informateur Public-Privé and together with Mtre. Karl Delwaide co-authored “Learning from a Decade of Experience: Quebec’s Private Sector Privacy Act”, published in August of 2005 for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
Mtre. Aylwin also supervised the preparation of the firm’s recommendations on Canada’s Anti-Spam legislation as well as one on requesting references as a potential employer and a checklist for research contracts.
Mtre. Aylwin is very involved in the legal community. He chaired the Young Bar Association of Montréal (2009-2010) and sat on several committees for the Bar of Montréal and the Québec Bar, including the executive committee of each of these organizations (2010-2011). He is currently Vice President of the Québec Bar.
He has accumulated significant experience serving on different boards of administration and is interested in organizational governance. In order to further his understanding in this respect, he completed a seminar course on governance offered by Université Laval’s Collège des administrateurs.
Mtre. Aylwin is Fasken Martineau’s Chief Privacy Officer and is also responsible for the Estate Litigation group and the testamentary vault for the Quebec region.
Honours and Awards
- HELM Awards 2015 - Digital Marketing Award and Best Overall Firm Award – Responsible of the Fasken Martineau’s national team who promote and execute CASL’s regulations
- Recognized by IP Stars - Trade mark and copyright (2015)
- Member of the Boards of director, Théâtre de la ligue nationale d'improvisation (LNI) (2011-2015)
- Volunteer at the Fondation Montréal inc. (since 2013)
- Member, Corporate Governance and Nominating Committee, Société de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul (2013-2014)
- Member, Governing Board, École de l'Île-des-Sœurs (2014-2015)
- Board Member, Éducaloi (since 2016)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Québec Bar (since 2003)
- Vice-President and Director (since 2015)
- President, Technology Strategic Initiative Advisory Committee (since 2016)
- Governance and Ethics Committee (since 2015)
- Governor, Fondation du Barreau du Québec (since 2015)
- Congress Organizing Committee (2012-2013)
- Teacher, École du Barreau (Bar School) (2011-2015)
- General Council and Executive Council (2010-2011)
- Professional Training Committee of the Québec Bar School (2005-2009)
- Member, Bar of Montréal (since 2003)
- Board of Directors (2010-2011)
- Court of Appeal Liaison Committee (2011-2014), President (2013-2014)
- Committee on the administration of justice in civil matters (2013-2014)
- Young Bar Association of Montréal
- President and Lifetime Honorary Member (2009-2010)
- Board of Directors (2005-2011)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Education Advisory Board (Canada) (2007-2012)
- CIPP Canada Certification Advisory Board (2011-2013)
- CIPP/C Certification (since 2011)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Steering Committee (Québec Branch) (2010-2011)
- Member, Wills, Estates and Trusts Section (Québec Branch) (2014-2015)