Jean Masson joined Fasken Martineau in 1978 after working with the Société de développement de la Baie James, the ministère de la Justice du Québec, and a major cable broadcasting company, and he focuses his practice on the fields of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and, more specifically, the natural resources (mining, forestry), communications and transportation sectors. Through working in these highly regulated sectors, he has developed in-depth understanding of the administrative and governmental "machine", and he acts for clients in both the private and public sectors regarding issues related to the granting of permits, contracts, licenses and franchises. A significant part of his practice is dedicated to the field of government relations, both at the federal and provincial levels, on behalf of mining companies and their financing.
Plan Nord is an important part of his professional practice. Through his presence over the years in this area, he has and continues to support mining companies in their projects by assisting them in their quest to obtain permits, certificates and other required authorisations, the implementation of infrastructures in the building of roads, railroads or airports, energy supply as well as obtaining public funding for these infrastructures. He has also published articles and given conferences on Plan Nord.
He co-presided in 2006 and 2007 over the Fasken Martineau team directed by the ministre des Transports du Québec and PPP-Québec in the public-private partnership for the completion of Autoroute 25 in the Montreal region. This first PPP project in Quebec earned him the Silver Award for Project Financing in 2007 from the Canadian Counsel for Public-Private Partnerships, as well as the 2007 P3 North American Deal of the Year award from the prestigious Project Finance Magazine.
- As trustee of the Fiducie de commémoration de la mémoire de Robert Bourassa, he was the primary initiator of the creation of the monument dedicated to the memory of the late Prime Minister in the gardens of the Assemblée nationale du Québec.
- Mr. Masson has also been a volunteer and firm supporter of McGill University's Professor David Bird who, over the past 15 years, has been struggling to reintroduce the peregrine falcon in Québec, especially in Montreal. His work with the peregrine falcons that nest each year on the Stock Exchange Tower, site of Fasken Martineau's Montréal offices, has earned the firm the prestigious Mérite de la conservation de la faune awarded by the ministère de l'Environnement du Québec.
- Through his volunteer activities, he supports several charitable organizations such as The Grace Dart Extended Care Centre and "Itinéraire".
- He also volunteers his efforts for Tennis Canada and the Quebec Tennis Federation.
- Member, Mining Committee of the Fédération des Chambres de Commerce du Québec
- Member, Plan Nord Committee of the Fédération des Chambres de Commerce du Québec
- Member, Association de l'exploration minière du Québec
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Bar of Montréal
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- Member, Board of Trade and Industry of Laval