Steven Beharrell is co-head of the firm's Global Energy Group. He has extensive experience in the oil, gas, power, mining and infrastructure sectors. He has negotiated many international projects in the Middle East, Asia, Europe and Africa. Steven has worked on several innovative projects, including closing the first Independent Power Project in Kenya and negotiating the first regulated Power Purchase Agreement in South Africa.
Steven is currently advising Vale, the world's second-largest mining company, on an Independent Power Project in Mozambique. This involves mining and development, rail and transport, infrastructure and a new port facility. Steven also advises on Corporate Social Responsibility issues, particularly bribery and corruption, and on projects, investments and M&A in the agricultural, aviation, telecoms, oil field services, real estate and infrastructure sectors.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by Chambers UK as a 'Leader in their field' within 'Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas' (2011-2014 editions)
- Recognised by Super Lawyers Magazine, published by Thomson Reuters, as a ‘Super Lawyer’ within his field of expertise (2013 edition)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise in the field of 'Projects, Energy and Natural Resources - Oil and Gas' (2013 edition)
- Recognised by Chambers Global for his expertise in the field of 'Energy: Oil & Gas' (2012 edition)
- Governor, The Drapers' Academy
- Trustee, City & Guilds of London Institute
- The Law Society of England and Wales