Steven Beharrell is a Partner in Fasken Martineau LLP (London) and is co-head of the firm's Global Energy group. Steven is also a member of the Corporate / Commercial, Global Mining, and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) practice groups.
Steven has extensive experience in the oil, gas, power, mining and infrastructure sectors. He has negotiated many international projects in the Middle East, Asia, Europe and Africa. Steven's work saw his involvement in several innovative projects, including closing the first IPP in Kenya and negotiating the first regulated PPA in South Africa.
Steven has recently advised, among others, a Chinese state-owned company on the acquisition of offshore assets in Brazil and on oil, gas, power and infrastructure activities throughout Africa. Steven's work also encompasses a range of activities well beyond the natural resources and infrastructure sectors, including advising on Corporate Social Responsibility issues, particularly bribery and corruption, and on projects, investments and M&A in the agricultural, aviation, telecoms, oil field services, real estate and infrastructure sectors.
Steven has been named as a leading energy oil and gas lawyer in 'Chambers Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers', Euromoney's 'Guide to the World's Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers' and 'Guide to the World's Leading Project Finance Lawyers' and as an expert in Corporate Law and M&A in Legal Business Report on Legal Experts.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by Super Lawyers Magazine, published by Thomson Reuters, as a ‘Super Lawyer’ within his fields of expertise (2013 edition)
- Recognised by Chambers UK as a 'Leader in their field' within 'Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas'; Steven is praised for "the depth of his knowledge of the energy industry at an international level" (2011, 2012 and 2013 editions)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise in the field of 'Projects, Energy and Natural Resources - Oil and Gas' (2011 and 2010 editions)
- Recognised by Legal Experts as an authority in the field of Energy and Natural Resources (2010 and 2011 editions)
- Recognised by Chambers UK as a 'Leader in his Field' within 'Projects & Energy: Oil & Gas'; Steven is praised for counselling clients "on legal points but also gives a wider reality check" (2010 edition)
- Member, International Bar Association