Keri Bennett engages in a broad labour and employment practice advising public and private sector organizations on all aspects of the employment relationship. Keri represents clients in matters before the BC Labour Relations Board, BC Human Rights Tribunal, BC Employment Standards Branch, the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal, the courts, labour arbitrations and mediations.
Keri previously was an associate in the Toronto office of Fasken Martineau LLP and represented clients in matters before labour arbitrators, the Ontario Labour Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the Ontario Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal and the Superior Court of Justice.
Keri frequently advises employers on:
- compliance with employment standards legislation, including payment of wages, hours of work and overtime, annual vacation and director liability
- drafting of enforceable employment agreements
- drafting of employer policies
- employee discipline
- termination of employment, including constructive dismissal and for-cause termination
In addition, Keri represents clients in employment litigation, including negotiating effective settlements and vigorously defending her client’s interests before the courts.
Keri provides practical strategic advice to unionized employers on matters such as:
- collective agreement interpretation
- unfair labour practice complaints
- compliance with the Labour Relations Code
She also represents clients in grievance arbitrations and matters before the Labour Relations Board.
Keri advises employers on compliance with human rights law, including issues around discrimination, harassment, and the duty to accommodate. She regularly represents employers in matters before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and also represents federal employers in matters before the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
In addition to the specific requirements of human rights legislation, Keri also represents employers in discriminatory action complaints before WorkSafeBC and the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal.
Keri also advises employers on compliance with privacy legislation and preparation of privacy policies.
Honours and Awards
- LSUC Education Equity Award (2009)
- Leadership Award, University of Toronto Faculty of Law (2007/2008)
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Professional Women's Network