Marisa Victor is an associate and member of the Ottawa litigation group with a broad practice in civil, administrative, and public law litigation.
Marisa has appeared as counsel before the Ontario Court of Justice, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as before inquests and administrative tribunals. Her experience includes representing parties involved in commercial litigation, civil litigation (including defamation), communication law litigation (including copyright matters), anti-corruption investigations, employment law matters, and federal regulatory litigation. In addition to her litigation work, Marisa has experience providing advice regarding anti-corruption laws and company best practices, management-side employment law best practices, communication law issues, and agricultural law. Marisa is also an experienced Supreme Court Agent, having provided advice and acted as Ottawa agent on numerous files at all stages of appeal.
Prior to joining the Ottawa office of Fasken Martineau in 2009, she acted as legal counsel to Commissioner Major at the Air India Inquiry giving her unique insights into, among other things, Canada's national security and intelligence systems, and the prosecution of terrorism offences. Marisa articled with the National Judicial Institute in Ottawa, responsible for the delivery and coordination of judicial education in Canada.
Marisa also holds a Masters degree in Environmental Studies (MES) and maintains an interest in environmental issues. In addition, Marisa has an BFA and MA in Theatre. Marisa is conversant in French and Spanish.
Honours and Awards
- Ogilvy Renault LLP Award, Osgoode Hall Law School (academic excellence and community service)
- Committee Member, CCLA/GCTC Annual Lawplay
- Volunteer Duty Counsel, Pro Bono Law Ontario (Ottawa)
- Board Member, Nelson House
- Volunteer Lawyer, Artists’ Legal Services Ottawa
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, County of Carleton Law Association
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Transparency International Canada