Tanneke Heersche is a partner at Fasken Martineau with a particular focus on natural resource project development in emerging markets. Tanneke is highly regarded for her expertise and experience in the mining industry where she is recognised as a leading legal advisor. Her extensive experience includes advising on all aspects of the development and financing of mining and other natural resource projects in emerging markets, with a particular emphasis on African markets.
Tanneke’s practice also encompasses advising and representing clients on significant cross-border investments and investment protections in natural resources, infrastructure and other sectors in various emerging markets. She regularly advises major international mining companies and international financial institutions as well as governments in numerous countries around the world.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by IFLR1000 as a "Leading Lawyer" in Banking, Energy, Infrastructure, Project Finance, and Mining (2017 edition)
- Recognised by Who's Who Legal Canada: 2016 for Mining
- Recognised by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 for Mining
- Recognised by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer within the fields of Projects and Energy (Africa) and Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (South Africa). Tanneke is noted for being a "highly respected legal adviser to many players in the mining industry" and for her "wide-ranging experience in natural resources work across Africa and internationally", her "unbelievably good understanding of business and the commercial rationale of transactions" and her "truly global" experience "having handled matters not just in Africa, but also in South America and Central Asia". She is also noted as a Canadian 'Experts Based Abroad' and a South African 'Foreign Expert' within the field of Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (2009-2015 editions)
- Recognised by IFLR1000 as a "Leading Lawyer" in Banking Law and Project Finance (2015 edition)
- Recognised by Legal 500 as a mining specialist in Corporate Law / Mergers & Acquisitions and a key member of the team in Mining (2015 edition)
- Recognised by Legal Experts - Europe, Middle East & Africa as an authority and expert within the field of Mining - South Africa (2011 and 2013 editions)
- Recognised within Expert Guides 'Women in Business Law' for her expertise in the field of 'Energy and Natural Resources - South Africa' (2012 edition)
- Recognised as one of the 'Most Highly Regarded Individuals' within the field of Mining Law by the International Who's Who Legal and praised for being "one of the finest mining lawyers in Africa" (2009-2012 editions)
- Law Society of Upper Canada