Dedicated and Responsive
Johanna Fipke is a partner in Fasken Martineau's Global Mining Group, practising in corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, land tenure, project exploration, financing and permitting. Her experience includes working with both public and private issuers in the natural resources sectors, including major, intermediate and junior mining companies, as well as exploration start-up companies.
Tough But Flexible
Johanna is known for being thorough yet practical and tough yet diplomatic when negotiating and closing complex mining transactions. Her ability to protect and expand the benefits and assets of her clients make her a stand-out in the mining industry. Johanna’s experience spans the broad spectrum of strategic legal and business counsel, including:
- Mining law and specific issues unique to the mining industry
- Mergers, acquisitions and commercial transactions involving domestic and international mining companies and properties
- Drafting and negotiating mining agreements
- Mineral title opinions required for financing
- Project development and land tenure in Canada’s North
- Due diligence on mining companies and properties
Determination and Depth of Practice
Johanna provides practical solutions to the challenges that arise at all stages of the mining cycle. She works diligently with clients from exploration, to development, to operation and through closure and reclamation. She has experience with a wide range of industry transactions including takeovers, share purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, option agreements, joint ventures and royalty arrangements, as well as a variety of other mining industry agreements. She also regularly advises clients on mineral property title matters.
Johanna has a strong ability to visualize and achieve the big picture by analyzing all of the critical facets of a transaction that must be resolved in order for the client to proceed. Johanna’s ability to filter complex information geared toward the protection of business assets, in a way that is appropriate and offers solutions rather than imposing impediments to the overall deal, is the basis for her long term relationships in the mining industry.
Setting the Pace for a New Generation of Mining Lawyers
Johanna is the first lawyer at the firm to be called to the Bar in Nunavut, which is comprised of only a small fraction of lawyers practising throughout Canada. In addition to Nunavut, she is a member of the Law Societies of British Columbia and the Northwest Territories. Johanna is an advocate for, and participant in, student mentorship programs. She is a speaker and author of various publications on topics in mining law, and is involved in philanthropic activities such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and CIBC Run for the Cure.
A standout among her peers, Johanna was also selected as a finalist for the 2013 Association of Women in Finance PEAK Rising Star Award. On a personal note, Johanna is an avid fitness enthusiast, and enjoys an active lifestyle and mentoring her friends and colleagues about the long term health benefits of regular exercise.
Honours and Awards
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2013-2014 for Mining
- Corporate LiveWire Global Awards 2015 for Mining
- Canadian Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME BC)
- AME BC 100th Anniversary Committee
- Next Leaders Council Board of Governors
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Association of Women in Finance
- Women in Mining Vancouver Branch
- Canada Korea Business Association