Dedicated, Responsive and Industry-Focused
Johanna Fipke is a partner in Fasken Martineau's Global Mining Group, practising in corporate and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, mineral and land tenure, mining due diligence, project permitting and development, and project financing. She regularly advises major, intermediate and junior mining companies to provide sensible solutions to the challenges that arise at all stages of the mining cycle and throughout complex transactions.
Johanna is known for being thorough and tough yet provides practical solutions for her clients, and is diplomatic and flexible in negotiating and closing complex mining transactions making her a stand out in the mining industry.
Depth of Practice
Johanna works diligently with clients from exploration, to development, to operation and through closure and reclamation. She has experience with a wide range of industry transactions and mining law matters, including:
- Mergers, acquisitions and commercial transactions involving domestic and international mining companies and properties
- Drafting and negotiating mining and industry agreements, including purchase agreements, options, joint ventures, royalties as well as a variety of other agreements
- Mineral title opinions and jurisdiction specific advice regarding security packages required for financing
- Project development, permitting and land tenure in Western and Northern Canada
- Due diligence on mining companies and properties
Johanna has a strong ability to visualize and achieve the big picture by analyzing all of the critical facets of a transaction that must be resolved in order for the client to proceed. Johanna’s ability to filter complex information geared toward the protection of business assets, in a way that is appropriate and offers solutions rather than imposing impediments to the overall deal, is the basis for her long term relationships in the mining industry.
Setting the Pace for a New Generation of Mining Lawyers
Johanna is the first lawyer at the firm to be called to the Bar in Nunavut, which is comprised of only a small fraction of lawyers practising throughout Canada. In addition to Nunavut, she is a member of the Law Societies of British Columbia and the Northwest Territories. Johanna is an advocate for, and participant in, student mentorship programs and takes an active interest in the future of the profession. She is a speaker and author of various publications on topics in mining law, and is involved in philanthropic activities such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and CIBC Run for the Cure.
Highly regarded among her peers, Johanna has been repeatedly recommend for mining in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory and was also selected as a finalist for the Association of Women in Finance PEAK Rising Star Award. On a personal note, Johanna is an actively involved mother and an avid fitness enthusiast, while devoting significant effort to various community and professional initiatives. She is also committed to supporting, mentoring, and championing women in building successful and gratifying careers while fulfilling the important roles that family, personal relationships and health play in our overall wellbeing and success.
Honours and Awards
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2013-2015 Repeatedly Recommended for Mining
- Corporate LiveWire Global Awards 2015 for Mining
- 2013 and 2014 Finalist for the Association of Women in Finance PEAK Rising Star Award
- Founding and Current Director, Women in Mining BC
- Ride for Diabetes Supporter and Participant, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Law Societies of British Columbia, Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Canadian Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF)
- Director, Women in Mining BC
- Next Leaders Council Board of Governors
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME BC)
- AME BC 100th Anniversary Committee
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM)
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
- Association of Women in Finance