Peter Mantas is the head of the Ottawa litigation group, co-leader of the firm’s White Collar Defence and Investigations group and a member of the firm’s Litigation Steering Committee. He is also the immediate past co-chair of the Class Actions Section of the Ontario Bar Association. Peter Mantas is an editor of Fasken Martineau’s white collar defense blog, White Collar Post.
An experienced litigation lawyer, Peter is valued for his careful preparation, strategic advice and tough but reasonable approach. Described as a Canadian and Ontario litigation star by Benchmark Canada, he has acted as legal counsel in some of the most prominent cases in the country. He is frequently retained on high profile matters requiring an understanding of reputational risk and media relations, and experience in crisis management.
Peter has considerable experience in cases involving a large and complex documentary record. He is an avid user and proponent of technology in the litigation process in order to reduce costs and achieve better results.
Peter practises in the following areas of litigation: corporate/commercial; class actions; proceedings against government; public procurement; competition/anti-trust; governance and ethics; fraud; defamation; franchise; and international investigations and proceedings. He has experience in both civil and criminal cases.
He has acted as counsel at the trial and appeal level before the Ontario and Federal courts, numerous Canadian provincial and territorial courts, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, international and domestic arbitration panels, and in judge only and jury trials.
Peter was a law student at the Paris office of U.S.-based law firm, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and at the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Honours and Awards
- Benchmark Litigation 2017 - White-Collar Crime/Enforcement Litigator of the Year
- Nominated in 2016 for recognition in Canadian Lawyer magazine as one of the 25 most influential lawyers in Canada
- Nominated for the 2016 and 2015 Lawyer of the Year Award by Benchmark Canada for White Collar Crime/Enforcement
- Recognized in the 2017 and 2016 Chambers Canada for Public Procurement
- Recognized in the 2017 and 2016 editions of The Legal 500 Canada for Public Procurement (Canada) and in the 2015 edition for Dispute Resolution (Ontario).
- Ranked in 2014, 2015 and 2016 as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation for commercial, defamation, media and white collar criminal law.
- Recognized in the 2016 edition of The Legal 500 Canada for Public Procurement (Canada) and in the 2015 edition for Dispute Resolution (Ontario).
- Member of the Executive 2016-17 (Co-Chair, 2015-16) Class Actions Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Co-Chair, 2015-16, Class Actions Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Country of Carleton Law Association