Peter Mantas is the head of the Ottawa litigation group and a member of the firm’s global Litigation Management Committee.
An experienced litigation lawyer, Peter is valued for his careful preparation, strategic advice and tough but reasonable approach. He represents clients on some of the most prominent cases in Ottawa. In representing clients in high profile cases, Peter applies his extensive media relations training and experience.
Peter has considerable experience in matters involving a large and complex documentary record. He is an avid user and proponent of technology in the litigation process in order to reduce costs and achieve better results.
Peter practises in the following areas of litigation: corporate / commercial; class actions; shareholder and oppression remedies; proceedings involving the federal government; public procurement; governance and ethics; competition, conspiracy and bid-rigging investigations and proceedings; fraud; defamation; injunctions; restrictive covenants; and international disputes. He has experience in both civil and criminal cases.
He has acted as counsel before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Court of Appeal, Federal Court of Canada (Trial and Appeal divisions), Supreme Court of Canada, courts in other Canadian provinces, Canadian International Trade Tribunal and NAFTA and domestic arbitration panels.
Peter was a law student at the Paris office of U.S.-based law firm, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and at the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Honours and Awards
- Named as a national "litigation star" for white collar criminal law in the 2014 edition of Benchmark Canada.
- Named as an Ontario "litigation star" for commercial, media/defamation, and white collar criminal law in the 2014 edition of Benchmark Canada.
- Described as a “rising star” in the 2012 edition of Benchmark Canada, a guide to the top litigation lawyers in Canada.
- Named one of Ottawa’s top "Forty Under 40" by the Ottawa Business Journal in 2000.
- Executive Secretary, Class Actions Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Registered Canadian Trade-Mark Agent
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Country of Carleton Law Association