Peter Mantas is the head of the Ottawa litigation group and a member of the firm’s global Litigation Management Committee.
An experienced litigation lawyer, Peter is valued for his careful preparation, strategic advice and tough but reasonable approach. He represents clients on some of the most prominent cases in Ottawa, to which he applies his media relations training and experience.
Peter has considerable experience in matters involving a large and complex documentary record. He is an avid user and proponent of technology in the litigation process in order to reduce costs and achieve better results.
Peter practises in the following areas of litigation: corporate / commercial; class actions; shareholder and oppression remedies; proceedings involving the federal government; public procurement; governance and ethics; competition, conspiracy and bid-rigging investigations and proceedings; fraud; defamation; injunctions; restrictive covenants; and international disputes. He has experience in both civil and criminal cases.
He has acted as counsel before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Court of Appeal, Federal Court of Canada (Trial and Appeal divisions), Supreme Court of Canada, courts in other Canadian provinces, Canadian International Trade Tribunal and NAFTA and domestic arbitration panels.
Peter was a law student at the Paris office of U.S.-based law firm, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and at the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Honours and Awards
- Described as a “rising star” in the 2012 edition of Benchmark Canada, a guide to the top litigation lawyers in Canada.
- Named one of Ottawa’s top "Forty Under 40" by the Ottawa Business Journal in 2000.
- Counsel and volunteer, 2013 Mark Motors Porsche GT3 Racing Team
- Counsel and volunteer, 2013 Race the Runway charity event
- Guest Lecturer, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Common Law, Class Actions
- Secretary and Member of the Executive, Class Actions Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Registered Canadian Trade-Mark Agent
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Country of Carleton Law Association