Norm Keith specializes in employment, health & safety, workers' compensation, environment, regulatory and white collar crime litigation. He advises clients in all areas of human resources, regulatory and criminal compliance. He represents clients in privacy law, human rights, insider trading, anti-corruption and corporate governance legal matters. He regularly represents employers at labour, workers' compensation and other administrative tribunals.
Norm is an accomplished trial lawyer and recognized as a leader in his field. During his career, he has appeared as counsel at all levels of courts up to and including the Supreme Court of Canada. He has successfully defended over 1,000 charges under regulatory and criminal statutes. He is counsel to clients in the construction, energy, forestry, manufacturing, mining, oil and gas, infrastructure, transportation industries and all levels of government.
Norm completed Ironman Austria in June 2014, his fourth Ironman distance triathlon. Norm has worked as a Hard Rock miner, on construction projects and at a major Canadian bank. He was a judge in the prestigious Canada's Safest Employer award in 2014.
Norm earned his Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation in 1998, making him the first practising lawyer in Canada to achieve the CRSP designation. He has written numerous articles, is an accomplished speaker, and has authored 12 books including Corporate Crime and Accountability in Canada, Canadian Health and Safety Law, Workplace Health & Safety Crimes, Canadian Emergency Management and Response Manual, Human Resources Guide to Preventing Violence, Alcohol and Drugs in the Canadian Workplace, Insider Trading in Canada and Canadian Anti-Corruption Law and Compliance.
Honours and Awards
- Legal 500 Canada for Labour and Employment (2015)
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2013, 2014)
- International Who's Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers (2012)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (2012, 2014)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2002-2012, 2014)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2006-2014)
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association - Criminal Justice Division
- Member, Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
- Member, Association of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Member, Canadian Society of Safety Engineering
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers