Norm Keith is a senior partner practicing in the areas of regulatory, employment and white collar defence advisory, compliance and litigation in the Toronto office.
Mr. Keith advises, represents and defends corporations, directors, officers, senior managers, individuals and governments in a wide variety of matters including workplace health & safety, white collar crime, corporate investigations, anti-trust competition, wrongful terminations, securities fraud, fiduciary duties, constitutional and human rights litigation, environmental enforcement, anti-bribery and corruption and corporate social responsibility.
Mr. Keith is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer. During his career he has appeared at all levels of courts up to and including the Supreme Court of Canada. He has successfully defended over 1,000 regulatory and criminal charges. He is counsel and trusted advisor to clients in the mining, construction, energy, health care, forestry, aviation, high tech, manufacturing, oil and gas, infrastructure, clean tech, and transportation industries. He has advised and represented public emergency services and all levels of government, from Municipalities to the Government of Canada.
Mr. Keith is a co-founder of Fasken Martineau’s White Collar Defence and Investigations practice group. He is the Canadian representative on the White Collar Crime Committee of the American Bar Association. He has written the leading text on corporate crime in Canada, Corporate Crime, Accountability and Social Responsibility in Canada (2nd Edition). He is the author of Insider Trading in Canada and Canadian Anti-Corruption Law and Compliance. Mr. Keith advises and represents clients throughout Canada and internationally on anti-bribery, anti-trust, securities fraud, corporate ethics and governance investigations. He teaches a course on Corporate Governance, Ethics and Social Responsibility at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. Mr. Keith is the Editor-in-Chief of Fasken Martineau's blog on white collar crime, White Collar Post.
Mr. Keith is the leading occupational health and safety defence lawyer in Canada. He has authored numerous books on the subject including, Canadian Health and Safety Law (Canada Law Book), Canadian Emergency Management and Response Manual, Practical Guide to OHS Compliance in Ontario (4th Ed.), and Workplace Health and Safety Crimes, the leading book on the Bill C-45 amendments to the Criminal Code.
Mr. Keith is a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) the first practising lawyer in Canada to earn the CRSP designation. Norm is a highly sought after instructor and speaker at business associations, bar associations, universities, and corporate risk management conferences. He is an instructor in the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Global Safety Management Certificate course. He has authored Human Resources Guide to Preventing Violence, Alcohol and Drugs in the Canadian Workplace, Preventing and Managing Workplace Violence and over 200 articles in professional journals and trade publications. He was voted Safety Professional of the year by the ASSE in 2010. He has lectured at the University of Western Ontario, University of British Columbia and Osgoode Hall Law School.
Norm recently completed Ironman Mont Tremblant (August 2016), his fifth ironman distance triathlon. He has worked as a hard rock miner, a bus boy, a career counsellor, a construction labourer, and a management trainee at a major Canadian bank. He was a judge for Canada's Safest Employer Awards for 2014 and 2015 and is a judge for the upcoming 2016 Canada's Safest Employer Awards.
Honours and Awards
- Legal 500 Canada for Labour and Employment (2015)
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2013, 2014)
- International Who's Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers (2012)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (2012, 2014)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2002-2012, 2014-2016)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2006-2014)
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association - White Collar Crime Committee
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Member, Canadian Society of Safety Engineering
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals
- Member, Transparency International - Legal Committee
- Member, Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
- Member, Association of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals