Mark Andrews, partner, is Chair of the firm's regional Commercial Litigation Group. He is included in the LEXPERT/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada; one of six lawyers listed for corporate commercial litigation in British Columbia and one of three lawyers listed for directors'' and officers' liability cases. He is consistently recognized for corporate/commercial litigation in particular, and dispute resolution generally, by legal directories including LEXPERT, Chambers Global and Best Lawyers in Canada. He has an AV® Peer Review from Martindale-Hubbell. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He was appointed Queen's Counsel in 2004.
Mark practices as general litigation counsel with an emphasis upon business disputes including: company, partnership and joint venture cases; investment cases; contract cases, particularly purchase and sale agreements; fraud, breach of trust and fiduciary duty claims; securities cases (civil and regulatory); real estate and municipal cases. He has experience in class actions, pension disputes and tax cases. He has been counsel on many applications for injunctions or other emergency relief.
Mark has been counsel in over 100 judgments of the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. He often acts as counsel in arbitrations and has acted as an arbitrator. Mark has appeared before administrative tribunals such as the British Columbia Securities Commission and professional disciplinary tribunals. He has extensive experience in commercial mediation.
Mark frequently teaches and lectures on trial advocacy and commercial litigation topics.
Honours and Awards
- Chambers Global 2013, Dispute Resolution: British Columbia (Canada)
- Named as an “local litigation star” in British Columbia and a “litigation star” for securities in Canada by Benchmark Canada, 2013
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2009-2013, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2009- 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Rating, Very High to Preeminent
- Chambers Global (published in London, UK), Dispute Resolution: British Columbia (Band 2)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Most Frequently recommended: Litigation - Director's & Officer's Liability; and Litigation - Corporate Commercial
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Appointed Queen's Counsel, 2004
- Director, Sopinka Cup Society
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Civil Litigation, Pensions & Benefits, and Taxation Sections; Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)