Our Pension and Benefits Law Group is one of the longest-established groups in Canada and has extensive experience in a wide range of matters in this important area. We draw from the diverse expertise of specialists in other practice areas of the firm such as litigation, trusts, and taxation, who have considerable expertise in pension and benefits issues.
Both employers and employees are increasingly aware of the significance of pensions and employee benefits. Our goal is to provide clients with timely and practical advice and innovative solutions on a cost-effective basis. Our clients include employers, plan administrators, financial institutions, governments, actuarial and benefits consultants and pension regulators. We advise our clients on a wide variety of pension and benefits issues, including:
- Treatment of benefits in acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, and other corporate reorganizations;
- Surplus and deficits in benefit plans (e.g. surplus entitlement and distribution, surplus withdrawals, contribution holidays, funding obligations);
- Pension plan governance and fiduciary obligations;
- Pension plan termination and partial wind up;
- Pension plan funding and investment;
- Tax consequences of various pension and benefit plans;
- Family law (marriage breakdown and credit splitting);
- Pension plan design;
- Post-retirement benefits;
- Supplementary pensions;
- Pension litigation and class action claims.
Together with our pension litigation specialists, we play a key role in resolving disputes between the different parties involved in benefit plans and have been involved in many of the leading Canadian pension litigation cases before the courts and tribunals, as well as pension class actions.