The enhancement, accumulation and preservation of wealth require a combination of acumen and insight. Through an organised and effective tax planning, you will reduce, minimize or defer your Canadian and global income tax burden. Our acknowledged leaders in the personal tax planning group can assist you and your advisers to realise and fulfill your objectives in a manner complying with your behaviours and respecting your values. We can assist you in the elaboration of strategies to minimize or defer the tax payable upon your death or by your estate or heirs, including probate taxes within the framework of your will and estate plan.
In the context of closely held companies, we can assist you in customizing your compensation, elaborating income splitting strategies, developing your retirement plan and putting in place other tax efficient plannings. We can assist you in the orderly transfer of your wealth to family members, the planning of your business succession plan and its transfer to family members, employees or other persons.
The multi-jurisdictional property interests of our clients often require the development of a co-ordinated plan to leverage differing legal and tax regimes. Through our international offices and our experience in this field, you benefit from a broad network of professionals both in Canada and abroad who can assist you in all of your planning-related needs.
Our services also include assistance in responding to audit inquiries from tax authorities, negotiating on your behalf, preparing notices of objection and appeals against tax assessments and litigating tax disputes at all judicial levels, including provincial courts, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Specific areas of personal tax expertise include the following services, in both domestic and international contexts:
- Developing and facilitating succession plans to transfer family business between generations while promoting business' growth and family harmony;
- Advising and implementing sophisticated estate freeze and income splitting schemes;
- Advising on compensation and retirement plan, including deferred income plans and employment benefits;
- Structuring investments and transactions in a tax effective manner;
- Advising on derivatives, tax shelters investments and any other type of investment products or vehicles;
- Advising on the appropriate use of insurance and insurance based products;
- Advising on the use of trusts to minimize the income tax payable or to achieve non-tax objectives;
- Advising on the use of trusts and powers of attorney to ensure the safeguard's continuity of your assets in the event of long term illness or incapacity;
- Advising client on asset protection strategies in a tax effective manner;
- Litigating tax disputes or claims arising out of family business disputes;
- Assisting clients with marriage contracts and family law planning;
- Advising clients having assets or families in multiple-jurisdictions, such as recreational property;
- Advising on cross-border trust planning for US and Canadian citizens or dual residents;
- Structuring non-resident trusts for Canadians or foreigners;
- Establishing trusts for new immigrants in Canada, in order for them to take advantage of the five year Canadian tax holiday or other opportunities;
- Assisting emigrants to properly order their departure from Canada and take advantage of tax planning opportunities;
- Advising on charitable giving including the use of private charitable foundations (see Charities and Not-For-Profit);
- Advising on estate planning (see Estate Planning).
Assisting clients in these areas requires a thorough knowledge of challenges and obstacles to the ownership and transfer of property. This includes knowledge of tax law, family law, elder law, probate and estate law, wills and wills variation law, trust law, creditors' rights and remedies, corporate law, and the rules of litigation procedures, negotiation and advocacy skills.
Our knowledge enables us to fully understand the problems you are facing and to find the appropriate solutions for your particular situation, whether it is of a mundane or sophisticated nature, and to deliver those services in a highly professional and efficient manner.