Workers' Compensation / Occupational Health and Safety
Workers’ compensation legislation ensures that workers who sustain injuries in the course of employment or who are disabled by occupational diseases are entitled to indemnification. The workers' compensation system is an intricate regime that represents a significant cost of doing business. Fasken Martineau’s labour and employment lawyers regularly act for employers at all adjudicative and appeal levels of provincial workers' compensation systems.
We provide advice and training to assist you in reducing costs through timely and effective claims management. We understand the importance of managing costs when representing you within the complex administrative bureaucracy of the workers' compensation classification, assessment and experience rating systems.
We also provide services to employers encompassing all aspects of occupational health and safety. Our lawyers are familiar with the detailed health and safety regulation standards established by federal and provincial legislation. As well, we frequently represent employers in dealings with administrative bodies that are provided with wide-ranging powers to inspect workplaces, issue orders, and impose fines and other penalties.
- Comprehensive advice regarding employer registration, classification, assessment and experience rating issues
- Advice regarding claims management, accommodation and return to work issues
- Advice on the application of, and compliance with, the regulatory standards
- Representation of employers with respect to orders, penalties and prosecutions for alleged non-compliance with occupational health and safety requirements
- Training on how to achieve and maintain the standard of "due diligence"