Keith Spencer is a partner with the law firm of Fasken Martineau and is the Chair of the Vancouver office’s Securities and Technology Practice Group. Keith’s clients range from start-up to mature private technology companies. Keith was previously in-house counsel to both the Vancouver-based Wireless Data Group of Motorola, Inc. (1989-1990) and to D-Wave Systems Inc. (2002-2003), where he had overall responsibility for their respective legal affairs.
Keith is a member of various boards and advisory boards for a significant number of early stage and emerging technology companies and technology industry associations, including He is a Director of INETCO Systems Limited, Elastic Path Software Inc., dPoint Technologies Inc. and the BC Technology Industries Association. Keith is a former Director and Regional Vice President (BC), Canadian IT Law Association. Keith was previously a member of the Board of Directors of BuildDirect, Layer 7 Technologies (acquired by CA Technologies), dPoint Technologies (acquired by Zehnder), and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Dyaptive Systems (acquired by JDSU). Keith has lectured in the area of technology and intellectual property law at the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law and at various Continuing Legal Education and Information Technology industry conferences. He has also authored articles in the areas of computer and information technology, outsourcing, e-commerce and intellectual property law.
Honours and Awards
- Who's Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology 2017
- The Best Lawyers® in Canada 2006-2017 for Technology Law and Information Technology Law
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016 for Technology Transactions
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Vancouver Technology Law Lawyer of the Year
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2010-2011 and 2013-2016 for Computer & IT Law and Technology Transactions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2012 for Computer & IT Law, Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions
- Director, The Indus Entrepreneurs (TIE), Vancouver Branch
- Director, Vancouver Enterprise Forum
- Former Director, BC Technology Industries Association (1999-2004, 2011-2015)
- Former Director, BC Science Fair Foundation (2006-2014)
- Former Director, TELUS Science World (2009-2013)
- Former Director, Family Services of Greater Vancouver (1995-2000)
- Director, Elastic Path Software Inc.
- Director, Envisio Solutions Inc.
- Director, INETCO Systems Limited
- Director, Mule App Corp.
- Director, Wizard Tower Technoservices Ltd.
- Former Director, dPoint Technologies Ltd. (2010-2016)
- Former Director, Layer 7 Technologies Inc. (2008-2013)
- Former Director, Dyaptive Systems Inc. (2009-2012)
- Former Director, BuildDirect.com Technologies Inc. (2001-2008)
- Former Director and Regional Vice President (BC), Canadian IT Law Association