René Cadieux specializes in business law as well as in administrative, constitutional and international law. He is also an active member of the firm's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Practice group.
René has been awarded the highest Rating (AV) by Martindale-Hubbell.
René, addressed by peers as "a brilliant lawyer," specializes in business law as well as in administrative, constitutional and international law. Along with a senior member of the firm's Vancouver team, he provided counsel in a multibillion dollar matter for First Quantum Minerals and its subsidiaries, as well as the investment arm of the World Bank and the South African Development Bank in two international arbitrations against the Democratic Republic of the Congo and certain state-owned mining companies relating to three large copper and cobalt mining projects.
René currently resides in Montréal, but he has also lived in Ottawa (Ontario), Halifax (Nova Scotia), Washington D.C. (United States) and Brussels (Belgium), and is fluent in both French and English (spoken and written).
Honours and Awards
Named as a “local litigation star” in Québec and a “litigation star” for arbitration in Canada in Benchmark Canada (2013 edition)
The Best Lawyers in Canada recognized René Cadieux as one of the best Alternative Dispute Resolution lawyers in Canada (2013 edition)
- Named as a "Competition litigation star" and as a "local litigation star" for commercial litigation and competition in Québec in Benchmark Canada (2011 and 2012 editions)
Award, Study Scholarship, Québec Bar (1989)
- Award, Gaston DesCôteaux Prize in Labour Law, University of Ottawa
Dean's Honour List, University of Ottawa, Third Year LL. L.
- Governor, Québec Bar Foundation
- Member, Barreau du Québec
- Member, Bar of Montréal
Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association (International Law Section)
- Secretary, Canadian Bar Association, Civil Liberties and Constitutional Law Section, Québec Division (1989 to 1994)
- President, Canadian Bar Association, Civil Liberties and Constitutional Law Section, Québec Division (1994 to 1996)
- Administrator, Laskin Moot Court Canada Fund (since 1989)
Organizing Member, National Laskin Moot Court Competition (since 1989)
Member of the Executive Committee of the International Section of the CBA-Quebec (since 2011) and Vice President (since 2013)