Jay Kerr-Wilson practises primarily in the areas of communications and public law, with a particular emphasis on copyright.
Prior to joining Johnston & Buchan in 2006, Jay served as Vice-President, Legal Affairs at the Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association (CCTA) where he was primarily responsible for acting on behalf of the Canadian cable industry in copyright, internet and broadcasting matters.
Jay represents large and small cable and direct-to-home satellite companies in proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada and advises these clients on issues related to copyright liability. He also represents Canada's largest communications companies on issues related to copyright law reform and has testified on several occasions before the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage. Since 2001 he has regularly served as a delegate to the World Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights, on behalf of Canada's cable and satellite industry.
In addition to his copyright-related work, Jay also practices before the Federal Court of Appeal and has represented the cable industry in appeals of decisions of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and the Copyright Board of Canada.
Jay is a member of our government relations practice and routinely represents clients before federal departments and agencies. In July of 2008, Jay was quoted by Law Times for his commentary on recent amendments to the federal Lobbying Act. For the past six consecutive years, he also been recognized by the national political and government newsweekly, The Hill Times, as one of Canada's top 100 lobbyists.
Honours and Awards
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 for Technology, Media and Telecoms
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 for Communications Law and Intellectual Property Law
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 for Communications Law
- Who's Who Legal 100 2014 for Telecoms
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2014 for Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Chambers Global 2012-2014 for Telecommunications, Media & Broadcasting
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012-2014 for Telecommunications
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association