Jay Kerr-Wilson practises primarily in the areas of communications and public law, with a particular emphasis on copyright.
Prior to joining Johnston & Buchan in 2006, Jay served as Vice-President, Legal Affairs at the Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association (CCTA) where he acted on behalf of the Canadian cable industry in copyright, internet, telecom and broadcasting matters.
Jay represents large and small, Canadian and foreign communications and technology companies in proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada and advises these clients on issues related to copyright licensing and copyright liability. He advocates on behalf of his clients on issues related to copyright law reform and has testified on several occasions before various Parliamentary committees. Between 2001 and 2010 he regularly served as a delegate to the World Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights, on behalf of Canada's cable and satellite industry.
In addition to his copyright-related work, Jay practices before the Ontario Superior Court, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. He represents clients in appeals and judicial reviews of decisions of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and the Copyright Board of Canada. He is also a registered trade-mark agent.
Jay is a member of our government relations practice and routinely represents clients before federal departments and agencies. For the past six consecutive years, he also been recognized by the national political and government newsweekly, The Hill Times, as one of Canada's top 100 lobbyists.
Honours and Awards
- IP Star (2015) - Canada, awarded by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 for Technology, Media and Telecoms
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015-2017 for Communications Law and Intellectual Property Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 and 2016 for Communications Law
- Who's Who Legal 100 2014-2015 for Telecoms
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2014-2015 for Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Chambers Global 2012-2016 for Telecommunications, Media & Broadcasting
- Chambers Canada 2016 for Telecoms, Media & Broadcasting
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012-2016 for Telecommunications
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association