Abayomi (Yomi) Akinjide is Co-Head of Fasken Martineau's Global Energy Group. He has practised at leading City of London and US international law firms and has extensive corporate experience, with a particular emphasis on complex cross-border mergers and acquisitions. He is experienced in private equity transactions and has acted for a number of well established UK and international private equity sponsors. He is particularly skilled in drafting commercial agreements as well as joint ventures. He has acted for investment banks on a range of London Stock Exchange related work, including placings, flotations (on the Official List and on AIM) and recommended take-overs.
Yomi has substantial transactional experience in the oil and gas sector, including acting for international oil companies, oil service companies and in respect of LNG related matters. Recent experience has included acting for oil and gas companies in Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, Papua New Guinea, Kazakhstan, Russia, Iraq, Equatorial Guinea, The Gambia, Rwanda and Tanzania. He has also been involved in transactions in Europe, Africa, U.S., Canada, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States. He has acted for international companies in transactions in Nigeria, as well as Nigerian companies in transactions in various jurisdictions.
Yomi has substantial experience in the mining sector and has recently acted on transactions in Senegal, Nigeria and Rwanda.
Yomi served the maximum three continuous years on the board of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, including as Regional Director for Europe and Africa. He was presented with the "Member of the Year 2008/2009" award for his services to the association. He is also an expert on Nigerian corporate and oil and gas law with extensive contacts both in government as well as in the Nigerian private sector.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by Chambers Global as a Nigerian 'Expert Based Abroad' within the 'Corporate/Commercial' field and as a UK 'Foreign Expert' within the 'Corporate/M&A' field (2012 - 2014 editions)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise in the field of 'Projects, energy and natural resources - Oil and gas' (2012 and 2013 editions)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise within the field of 'Corporate and Commercial – Flotations: Small and Mid-Cap' (2011 edition)
- Recognised by Legal Experts as an authority in the field of 'Energy and Natural Resources' (2010 and 2011 editions)
- Mentor, The Prince's Trust
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Britain Nigeria Business Council
- Energy Institute
- International Bar Association
- Nigerian Bar Association
- The Law Society of England and Wales