Abayomi (Yomi) is a Partner and Co-Leader of Fasken Martineau’s Global Energy Group. His practice focuses on corporate, corporate finance and commercial work, particularly in the energy, mining and telecoms sectors.
Yomi has substantial experience in complex cross-border mergers and acquisitions, financings, private equity transactions, drafting commercial agreements, advising on joint ventures and many other legal issues. Yomi has broad corporate experience and management skills, having led large teams on transactions usually involving multiple jurisdictions in a variety of sectors. He has a good understanding of financial markets and is a skilled negotiator, dealing with both transaction counterparties and regulators. His clients include banks, brokers, private equity sponsors and corporates.
Yomi’s practice is global and he is recognised as an expert on Africa. He is dual qualified in England and Wales and Nigeria. He is an expert in Nigerian corporate and oil and gas law and has published various legal materials in Nigeria and has spoken at seminars on matters relating to the Nigerian legal system.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by Best Lawyers for his expertise within the field of Energy & Natural Resources (2015 and 2016 editions)
- Recognised by Chambers Global as a Nigerian 'Expert Based Abroad' within the 'Corporate/Commercial' field and as a UK 'Foreign Expert' within the 'Corporate/M&A' field (2012 - 2016 editions)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise in the field of 'Projects, energy and natural resources - Oil and gas' (2012 - 2015 editions)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise in the field of 'Corporate and Commercial - M&A: mid-market' (2014 edition)
- Recognised by Legal 500 for his expertise within the field of 'Corporate and Commercial – Flotations: small and mid-cap' (2011 edition)
- Recognised by Legal Experts as an authority in the field of 'Energy and Natural Resources' (2010 and 2011 editions)
- Mentor, The Prince's Trust
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Britain Nigeria Business Council
- Energy Institute
- International Bar Association
- Nigerian Bar Association
- The Law Society of England and Wales