Mark Penner is a partner in the Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group with expertise in the acquisition, protection, enforcement and strategic use of a wide range of intellectual property assets. As a registered patent agent with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, Mark’s practice focuses on the drafting and prosecuting of patent applications in the life sciences in Canada and throughout the world. As a registered trade-mark agent, Mark also advises local and international clients on how to efficiently and effectively protect, maintain and enforce trade-mark rights in Canada, the United States and across multiple jurisdictions.
While focusing on life sciences, Mark is actively involved in counselling clients and providing strategic IP advice in a variety of technology areas, including energy (mining, oil and gas), social media and networking, insurance, communications and digital media.
Mark is frequently called upon to advise clients on commercializing intellectual property rights, including technology acquisition and licensing, freedom to operate and patentability opinions, as well as IP components of high value national, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional corporate transactions (e.g. financing, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures).
Mark speaks and writes extensively on various aspects of intellectual property rights.
Honours and Awards
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners for Patent Prosecution, 2014
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners for Patent Prosecution, 2013
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners for Patent Prosecution, 2012
- Leaders League 2012 for Patent Expertise
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Foreign Affiliate Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, International Trademark Association