May Cheng is a senior partner of the firm and the Chair of the Toronto Intellectual Property Group for the past 10 years. She is a Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Trade-mark/Copyright) certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
May has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property law, including trade-marks, patents, copyright, industrial designs, and trade secrets. She is regularly involved in injunctive proceedings and appeals to the Federal Court of Canada in trade-mark disputes and other matters. May advises on all aspects of intellectual property protection, including prosecution of trade-mark applications and branding strategies, as well as licensing of all types of intellectual property.
May's litigation experience includes patent infringement litigation involving telecommunications and nuclear technology, interlocutory injunction proceedings in trade-mark and patent matters, copyright infringement litigation and enforcement of Anton Piller Orders to curb counterfeiting of famous trade-marks in both Federal and Provincial courts. She also has considerable experience in on-line arbitration of domain name disputes.
May has been awarded a Silver ranking for both anti-counterfeiting and trademark enforcement expertise in the 2013 edition of the WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, published by World Trademark Review.
Honours and Awards
- Certified as a Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Trade-mark/Copyright) by the Law Society of Upper Canada since 2005
- Editor-in-Chief, Federated Press Journal of Intellectual Property since January 2013
- Committee Member, International Trade-mark Association, Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee, North American Subcommittee (2012-2014 term)
- Committee Member, Canadian Bar Association Institute Committee (2011-present)
- Advisory Board Member, PRECEDENT Magazine, since 2009
- Contents Editor, Journal of Diabetes Science Technology, Legal Issues Special Edition (2013)
- Committee Member, International Trade-mark Association, Anti-Counterfeiting and Enforcement Committee, North American Subcommittee (2006-2007 and 2008-2009 terms)
- Women’s Equality Advisory Group Committee to the Law Society of Upper Canada (2009-present)
- Expert Advisory group member to the Law Society of Upper Canada's Committee on the Retention of Women in Private Practice (2006-2008)
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association