May Cheng is a senior partner of the firm and the Chair of the Toronto Intellectual Property Group since 2003. She is a Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Trade-mark/Copyright) by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
May has more than 20 years of experience practising in intellectual property law, including trade-marks, patents, copyright, industrial designs, and trade secrets. She is regularly involved in injunctive proceedings and appeals to the Federal Court of Canada in trade-mark disputes and counterfeiting cases. May advises on all aspects of intellectual property protection, including prosecution of trade-mark applications and branding strategies, as well as licensing of all types of intellectual property.
May's litigation experience includes patent infringement litigation involving telecommunications and nuclear technology, interlocutory injunction proceedings in trade-mark and patent matters, copyright infringement litigation and enforcement of Anton Piller Orders to curb counterfeiting of famous trade-marks in both Federal and Provincial courts. She also has considerable experience in on-line arbitration of domain name disputes.
May has been recognized as an IP STAR (2014 and 2015) by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine. She also received a Silver ranking for both anti-counterfeiting and trademark enforcement expertise in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 editions of the WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, published by World Trademark Review.
Honours and Awards
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 for Intellectual Property
- President's Award, awarded by Women's Law Association of Ontario, 2016
- IP Star (2014, 2015 and 2016) Canada, awarded by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine
- Inducted into the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law's Common Law Honour Society, 2014
- Legal 500 Canada 2014-2015, Intellectual Property
- Silver Ranking, WTR 1000- The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, since 2013
- Certified as a Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Trade-mark/Copyright) by the Law Society of Upper Canada since 2005
- Certified Specialist Board Member, The Law Society of Upper Canada, 2016
- Co-Chair, Ontario Bar Association Institute Committee, 2015-2017
- Chair, IP Year in Review 2016, Law Society of Upper Canada annual programme
- Committee Member, Canadian Bar Association Intellectual Property Section - Trade Marks, 2013-2015
- Editor-in-Chief, Federated Press Journal of Intellectual Property, since January 2013
- Committee Member, International Trade-mark Association, Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee, North American Subcommittee, 2012-2014 and 2014-2016 terms
- Committee Member, Ontario Bar Association Institute Committee, 2011-2014
- Contents Editor, Journal of Diabetes Science Technology, Legal Issues Special Edition, 2013
- Women’s Equality Advisory Group Committee to the Law Society of Upper Canada, 2009-2012
- Advisory Board Member, PRECEDENT Magazine, since 2009 - present
- Committee Member, International Trade-mark Association, Anti-Counterfeiting and Enforcement Committee, North American Subcommittee, 2006-2007 and 2008-2009 terms
- Expert Advisory group member to the Law Society of Upper Canada's Committee on the Retention of Women in Private Practice, 2006-2008
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association