How to Harness Uncertainty and Risk to Create Revenue and Opportunities
The political landscape across the globe is shifting. With changes in U.S. leadership, UK-EU membership, and in international trade relationships, the business landscape cannot help but be altered by the new Trump Administration and the Brexit vote.
Global trade relationships are being tested from every side as trade partners are questioning the outcome and benefits of globalization. Canadian businesses are feeling the impact of these shifts and the legal and business risks they create. With a changing environment also comes the potential for opportunities. We know and understand that you have important questions about crucial issues, including:
- What are the effects of Buy America policies, and what is permitted under international trade and procurement rules?
- What changes and challenges are we facing in relation to the international trade of services?
- What are the big political and social challenges the EU faces that can impact trade?
- Is the softwood lumber and dairy industry at risk of challenge or subject to new NAFTA rules?
- What does the discussed US tax reform and any border tax adjustments mean for exporters dependent on the US market or decisions on whether to invest in the US?
- What does a renegotiated NAFTA mean? What can be renegotiated?
- How will U.S. estate tax repeal impact Canadian citizens?
- What will the temporary travel ban on immigrants from certain Middle Eastern countries mean for American employers?
- Does the reduction in tariffs under the CETA create new supply chain opportunities?
- Are new equity financing opportunities available, given the new threshold for review that applies to non-Canadian investors from countries with FTAs with Canada?
- If Asia-Pacific countries create a China FTA, would this create new business opportunities and cost-cutting initiatives that bear deeper strategic thinking?
Fasken Martineau lawyers are watching and analysing developments in all these areas closely. We are reporting to our clients, colleagues, and partners in the business community with timely insightful analysis and updates as we move into uncertain, but also potentially game-changing, times for many businesses.
We routinely advise public and private sector clients on a wealth of issues including international trade, tax, labour and immigration, information technology and intellectual property law, investment review, corporate restructuring, agri-business and infrastructure, to name but a few. Our clients range from federal and provincial government agencies, quasi-government/state-related entities, to some of the world’s largest multinational companies, to small- and medium-sized businesses. In doing so, we have developed deep expertise in a diverse array of industries including, but not limited to, energy, telecommunications, banking and aviation.
Do you want to be part of our exclusive email community and receive the insight and commentary that keeps us regarded as one of the world’s pre-eminent go-to resources for cross-border legal matters? At Fasken Martineau, our advice knows no borders.
We are part of a changing business world with shifting political landscapes. Sign up to stand on solid ground!