Christian Paquette practices labour, employment and human rights law, as well as commercial litigation. Fluent in both English and French, Christian assists clients across a variety of industries.
Christian has a broad practice advising clients in both unionized and non-unionized settings. He regularly represents clients faced with human rights applications, wrongful dismissal claims, grievances, and contractual disputes. Christian counsels clients on labour issues, employment standards, workplace investigations, workplace policies, attendance and disability management, fiduciary obligations and post-employment obligations, as well as privacy issues. He also has experience advising clients on collective bargaining and acting as a negotiator.
With experience in both civil actions and labour disputes, Christian has acted on behalf of clients before arbitrators, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Divisional Court, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, and worked on files brought before the Ontario Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Christian frequently delivers conferences and seminars in French and English on topics at both local and national conferences, as well as workshops in workplaces.
Before practicing law, Christian taught theatre in a private school in Ottawa and contributed to various volunteer organizations to promote Francophone culture in Ontario, and conflict resolution skills for youth across Canada.
Christian is past-president and current board member of the Club canadien de Toronto, a forum for the Francophone and Francophile business community of Toronto, and held the positions of vice-president and president of the Official languages committee of the Ontario Bar Association. He also volunteers time for not-for-profit organizations in the Greater Toronto Area.
Rankings and Awards
- Michel Cloutier Memorial Scholarship, Telfer School of Management (MBA), University of Ottawa, 2005
- Laureate - National Literary Essay Contest, Senator Jean-Robert Gauthier, 2004
- McMillan Binch LLP Scholarship for Academic Excellence, 2004
- Professional Scholarship for Academic Performance, University of Ottawa, 2003
- Volunteer Service Award (Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, April 2017). This award recognizes volunteers for providing committed and dedicated service to an organization