Alain Riendeau is a partner of the Commercial Litigation section. He practices in the fields of civil and commercial litigation, with a focus on insolvency and corporate restructuring. Alain has been involved in many complex financial disputes and in most of the large restructurings that have taken place in Québec over the last three decades, including more recently acting for :
- Lumenpulse Inc. in its privatisation pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Canam Group Inc. in its privatisation pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Orbite Technologies Inc. in its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Les Grands Travaux Soter Inc. in its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Canadian Pacific Railway in the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Canada Co.’s CCAA proceeding in connection with the derailment in the town Lac-Mégantic;
- Ernst & Young Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed Liquidator in the CBCA liquidation proceedings of Penson Financial Services Canada Inc., a registered clearing broker, which at one time held approximately $10 billion of client assets;
- Certain creditors in the Bloom Lake CCAA proceedings;
- Goldcorp Inc. in its non-solicited take-over bid for Osisko Mining Corporation;
- Fibrek Inc. in defence of AbitibiBowater’s non-solicited take-over bid;
- A major Québec corporation in a dispute with its franchisees;
Alain frequently pleads before both trial and appeal courts.
Consistently named to the list of "Best Lawyers in Canada" for insolvency and restructuring.
Ranked by the Canadian Legal Lexpert guide as one of the most frequently recommended lawyers in insolvency and financial restructuring.