Duane Schippers, Deputy Commissioner, Legislative and International Affairs Branch, Competition Bureau
Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP invites you to attend a lunch seminar on Thursday, May 28, 2009 on Bill C-10: Important Changes to the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act.
Bill C-10, An Act to implement certain provisions of the budget tabled in Parliament on January 27, 2009 and related fiscal measures, was enacted March 12, 2009. The Bill contains, among other things, the most significant changes to the Competition Act in decades. This seminar will cover the following topics:
Shift to a U.S.-style merger clearance regime
- Establishment of a dual-track approach to agreements between competitors
- Decriminalization of various pricing practices and establishment of administrative monetary penalties for abuses of dominance
- Changes to the Investment Canada Act including:
- Substantial increases to the review threshold;
- Repeal of the low review threshold for transportation, financial services and uranium industry transactions; and
- Establishment of a mechanism for the review of investments that could be injurious to national security.