On September 1, 2012, a sweeping lobbyist registration system, and new rules for municipal lobbyists, will take effect across the City of Ottawa. The impact promises to be felt by almost everyone who deals with civic officials.
Think Ottawa’s by-law won’t apply to your business? Not only does the new law apply broadly to business activity, it even covers unpaid volunteers who help! If your business is in contact with city officials, even infrequently, then you need to examine the new rules.
The rules will also affect the employees of non-profit associations, when those employees communicate with City officials about a financial interest of the non-profit entity.
This exclusive seminar, presented by Canada’s leading lobbying law expert, lawyer and author Guy Giorno, provides the first, most-in depth examination of rights and responsibilities under the new City of Ottawa lobbyist registry and rules. This is the first and only seminar to examine how the Ottawa by-law will work and – most importantly – how your business or organization should prepare to comply.
Topics to be covered:
- What businesses and industry/trade/professional associations need to know about communicating with city officials
- Impact on directors, partners, shareholders and investors
- Keeping out of trouble: lobbyists’ code of conduct
- Lessons learned from lobbying laws in other jurisdictions
- Exceptions, exemptions and enforcement
- Beyond the rhetoric: grey areas, interpretation challenges and unresolved questions
Who should attend?
- Business leaders
- Government relations executives and managers
- In-house counsel
- Staff and directors of non-profit associations
- Public affairs consultants
- Citizens interested in lobbying transparency
What people are saying about Guy Giorno:
Click to read what people say about Guy Giorno and previous Fasken Martineau Lobbying Law Seminars
A $390 (+HST) seminar fee entitles participants to breakfast and the following:
- A detailed presentation by Canada’s leading legal expert on the regulation of lobbying, Guy Giorno
- Exclusive learning materials that explore the City of Ottawa rules in depth
- "Best practices" compliance checklist
- Technical question and answer session
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am Breakfast and Registration
- 8:30 am - 11:30 am Seminar with Q&A
- 11:30 am - 12:00 pm Optional further questions and discussion with Guy Giorno
Note: To guarantee that you receive independent, objective analysis of the City's new lobbyist registry and rules, this event is in no way affiliated with the City of Ottawa.
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
This event has passed - registration is closed.