Ontario’s new legislation governing non-share capital corporations incorporated in Ontario is expected to be proclaimed into force in early 2013. It introduces a host of advantages as well as enhanced members' rights and imposes a number of new rules on Ontario not-for-profit corporations. This seminar will focus on the practical steps that such corporations need to take now to ensure that they comply with existing legislation and the new Act within the required time period, including, where appropriate, approving new articles and by-laws that meet their needs and those of their stakeholders. Among the issues to be discussed are the following:
- Overview of the new Act including major differences from the current Act and key provisions of the prototype by-law
- Recommendations on developing and implementing your plan to comply with the new Act and to obtain any requisite member approvals
- Special considerations for not-for-profit corporations that are also charities
- Key differences between the new Act and the new Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act to assist those corporations who may be considering migrating from the provincial to the federal regime, now a possibility under the new regulatory regime
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am Registration and Breakfast
- 8:30 am - 10:00 am Presentation and Q&A
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
This event has passed - registration is closed.