In the wake of the high-profile proxy contest at Canadian Pacific Railway in 2012, some observers have concluded that shareholder activism has reached new heights in Canada. The fact that a company of Canadian Pacific Railway’s size and iconic brand could be the target of a carefully co-ordinated and successful campaign suggests that no Canadian company can consider itself immune.
This seminar will feature a presentation by William Orr and Aaron Atkinson, who lead the team advising Canadian Pacific Railway, and will include a discussion of:
- Recent trends in Canadian proxy contests
- Tactics and strategy for the board and the activist
- Lessons learned
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am Registration and Breakfast
- 8:30 am - 10:00 am Presentation and Q&A
This event has passed. Registration is closed.
Look out for our upcoming seminars designed for public company directors.
In 2013, Fasken Martineau will convene a series of interactive, case-study based seminars for public company directors. The series will focus on managing issues from the boardroom to the courtroom, including:
- Allegations of Wrongdoing
- Hostile Take-Over Bids
- Activist Shareholders
- Cross-Border Transactions
- Emerging Market Resource Disclosure and Other Issues for Mining Companies
Further information to follow.