Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA) governs workers’ compensation in Ontario. This course will introduce the provincial legislation to participants and review the basics of accident reporting, managing workers’ compensation claims, adjusting to claim decisions and appeals. Case studies will assist participants to managing compensation claims and reduce employer compensation costs.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, focuses on:
- Overview of the provincial workers’ compensation legislation in the respective province
- Compensation for occupational disease, chronic pain and mental stress
- Early and safe return to work initiatives
- The powers of the workers’ compensation board to enforce their respective provincial legislation
- Improve claims management and reduce compensation costs
- Understanding the experience rating system
- Worker duties to co-operate with return-to-work efforts of the employer
- Appealing decisions to the respective workers’ compensation board
- Examine decisions of the WSIB and WSIAT
- Prepare for a Workwell Audits
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Course
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm Course
Note: The hours from this non-accredited course may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
Operation managers, workers’ compensation claims administrators, human resource managers, OHS managers, OHS nurses, in-house legal counsel, office managers, health and safety members and representatives.
This is an in-person course.
The cost of this course is $475 plus HST per registrant.
$425 plus HST per registrant if registering two or more people from the same organization.
Event has reached capacity - Registration is closed.
For more information:
+1 416 868 3511