The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires the employer to establish a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) at a workplace with 20 or more workers, or at a workplace with fewer than 20 workers where there are designated substances. If you are required to have a JHSC, you are also required, by law, to have at least two “certified members”: one representing workers and the other management.
This two-day certification course has been approved by the Ministry of Labour (MOL) and provides participants with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to become certified JHSC members.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, focuses on:
- Overview of Occupational Health and Safety law
- Investigation techniques
- Functions and powers of a JHSC
- Work refusals and work stoppages
- The role of MOL inspectors
- The Internal Responsibility System
- Hazard identification and control
- Conducting effective meetings
- Making recommendations to the employer
- Internal and external prevention resources
Fasken Martineau is a Ministry of Labour approved Provider of Basic Certification Training.
- 2 days
- April 15 & 16, 2015
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Program
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
Members of the JHSC requiring certification, managers, supervisors, and employees wanting to learn about OHS legal duties, accident prevention and the role of the JHSC.
This is an in-person course.
The cost of this seminar is $395 plus HST per registrant.
Please RSVP by following the link below.
For more information:
+1 416 493 8976