The increased use of social media as both a political and social public platform calls into question: what can employers do to manage their risks in relation to employees’ social media activities. In order to answer this complex question employers, more than ever before, need to understand critical principles including:
- the meaning and distinction between hate and ‘hateful’ speech;
- the scope of the right to freedom of speech in the workplace;
- what it means to bring an employer’s name into disrepute;
- the importance of workplace policies on social media; and
- disciplinary action for misconduct relating to inappropriate use of social media.
We will host a seminar on 3 March 2016 during which we will address these and other challenges faced by employers in the age of social media. This will include a discussion on recent case law and illustrative events.
- 08h30 - 09h00 | Registration and Breakfast
- 09h00 - 11h00 | Presentation