Employers have a legal obligation to ensure managers and supervisors are "competent". This one-day due diligence course provides managers and supervisors with practical knowledge to identify, assess and control hazards, and effectively implement their organization's OHS management system. Bill C-45 and the legal duty under the Criminal Code will also be addressed. A number of current cases are reviewed allowing attendees to learn from actual legal decisions.
This course is designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading regulatory, employment and white collar defence lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, and his team of OHS Consultants at Fasken Martineau. The course focuses on:
- OHS legislation
- Legal duties and responsibilities of workplace parties
- Workers' OHS rights to know, participate and refuse
- Authority and powers of the OHS Regulator
- Legal liability, penalties and fines
- Integrating OHS systems with managerial / supervisory functions
- The Internal Responsibility System explained
- Hazard identification, assessment and control methods
- Review of leading court and tribunal decisions
- Implications of Bill C-45
- Due Diligence Checklist developed by Norm Keith
The session will include short case studies, from real life situations in the industry, taught by lawyers and Consultants from Canada’s leading OHS practice at Fasken Martineau, a leading business and litigation firm.
This course meets the requirements of Ontario’s Regulation O. Reg. 297/13 “Basic OHS Awareness Training for Supervisors”, which came into effect on July 1, 2014.
- 1 Day
- 8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Program
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
Managers, supervisors, OHS professionals in-house legal counsel, human resources and operations managers.
This is an in-person seminar.
The cost of this seminar is $295 plus HST per registrant.
For more information:
+1 416 943 8976