Lobbying law enforcement is more aggressive in BC than anywhere else in Canada. Dozens of British Columbians have been fined for contraventions, including filing delays as short as 21 days and registering when registration is not required.
Federal lobbying law, too, is actively enforced; the average penalty imposed by courts is more than $10,000. Some individuals convicted for failing to register under the federal Act never actually lobbied. In other parts of Canada, new lobbying laws have taken effect or enforcement activity has increased.
Government relations is a regulated activity. The rules are complex and varied. Enforcement is real. Company CEOs are liable. Lobbying laws create great compliance risk for businesses, organizations and consultants. Are you in compliance?
Fasken Martineau is Canada’s leader in legal advice and representation on lobbying law compliance. This exclusive presentation, delivered by the country's leading legal experts on lobbying regulation and enforcement, provides in-depth focus on compliance with the BC Lobbyists Registration Act, the federal Lobbying Act, and other relevant laws in Canada. It is the place to ensure your business or organization is compliance-focused.
Topics to be covered
- Compliance with the Lobbyists Registration Act (BC)
- Federal Lobbying Act update
- Protect the CEO: compliance planning for your business or organization
- Responding to investigations and enforcement action
- Internal policies
- Contracts between lobbyists and clients
- Plus: The ten most often overlooked compliance risks
Who should attend
- Business leaders
- Government relations executives and managers
- In-house counsel
- Staff and directors of non-profit associations
- Government affairs consultants
- 7:45 am - 8:15 am Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:15 am - 9:30 am Presentation with Q&A
- 9:30 am - 10:00 am One-on-one follow up with presenters (optional)
This presentation is complimentary. Continental breakfast included.
Register for our complimentary Lobbying Law Compliance & Enforcement seminar by filling out the form below Friday, November 17, 2017.
What People are saying
Click to read what people say about Guy Giorno and previous Fasken Martineau Lobbying Law presentations.
Training and Audits
As an alternative to our public presentations and seminar, Fasken Martineau also provides custom in-house training for companies and organizations. Exclusive education session, and materials tailored to your needs. Unlimited number of participants. Discussion in a confidential forum. Permission to record the live presentation for your future use. Fee: $7,995 plus tax. Contact Guy Giorno, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.