Employers have a legal obligation to ensure managers and supervisors are "competent". This one-day due diligence course provides managers and supervisors with practical knowledge to identify, assess and control hazards, and effectively implement their organization's OHS management system. Bill C-45 and the legal duty under the Criminal Code will also be addressed. A number of current cases are reviewed allowing attendees to learn from actual legal decisions.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, will assist managers and supervisors to achieve due diligence. The course focuses on:
- OHS legislation
- Legal duties and responsibilities of workplace parties
- Workers’ OHS rights to know, participate and refuse
- Authority and powers of the OHS Regulator
- Legal liability, penalties and fines
- Integrating OHS systems with managerial supervisory functions
- The Internal Responsibility System explained
- Hazard identification, assessment and control methods
- Review of leading court and tribunal decisions
- Implications of Bill C-45
- Due diligence checklist developed by Norm Keith
The session will include short case studies, from real life situations in the industry, taught by lawyers and Consultants from Canada’s leading OHS practice at Fasken Martineau, a leading business and litigation firm.
This course meets the requirements of Ontario's new Regulation O. Reg. 297/13 "Basic OHS Awareness Training for Supervisors", which came into effect July 1, 2014.
- 1 day
- 8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Program
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
Managers, supervisors, OHS professionals, in-house legal counsel, human resource and operation managers.
This is an in-person only course.
This three day course costs $295 + HST per registrant.
A secured online payment link will be emailed after registration.
*This course has been cancelled and the next session is scheduled for September 6, 2018. Registration will open shortly and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Event contactNick Fan Marketing Events Specialist +1 416 868 3511