The Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA) governs workers' compensation in Ontario. This course will introduce provincial legislation to participants and review the basics of accident reporting, managing workers' compensation claims and reducing accident costs, how decisions are made and the appeals process. Tribunal decisions will be reviewed and discussed in class.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, focuses on:
- Overview of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act
- Understanding workers compensation benefits and how entitlement decisions are made
- Effective accident investigations and completing the WSIB Form 7
- Effective claims management and cost saving strategies
- Overview of the re-employment and co-operation obligations for Early and Safe Return to Work (ESRTW) and effective return to work techniques
- Techniques for managing challenging claims
- Appealing WSIB decisions and understanding the appeal process
- 8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Program
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
This is an in-person only course.
Operation managers, workers' compensation claims administrators, human resource managers, OHS managers, nurses, physicians, in-house legal counsel, office managers, health and safety members and representatives.
This one day course costs $295 + HST per registrant.
A secured online payment link will be emailed after registration.
- No refunds or credits for no shows
- No refunds or credits for cancelations less than 48 hours before a course
- Participants can request a one-time deferral and the credit must be used before the end of the calendar year. Requests for a deferral must be made 48 hours prior to the start of the course. If the course is only offered once that year, the credit can be applied to another OHS course within that same calendar year
- In the event that Fasken cancels a course, the participant can choose either a credit or a refund for the course amount