This political law seminar includes a special focus on Bill C-76 (Elections Modernization Act). Bill C-76 is a new election law that came into force earlier this year. It regulates the political activities of businesses and organizations in the lead-up to the federal election. This seminar also highlights new developments in lobbying law at the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.
Lobbying is a regulated activity. The rules are complex and varied. Enforcement is real. And—CEOs are liable. Lobbying laws create compliance risks for businesses, organizations and consultants. Are you in compliance?
Federal election law creates additional compliance risks. Businesses and organizations that engage in regulated activities, such as partisan advertising, partisan activities and election surveys between June 30, 2019 and October 21, 2019 are required to comply with the Canada Elections Act. Once the election period begins, a business or organization that purchases issue-based advertising has engaged in a regulated activity. Does your business or organization understand its rights and obligations?
This exclusive presentation, delivered by the nation's leading legal experts on political law, provides an in-depth focus on reputational and legal risks. It will help your business or organization ensure it is compliance-focused.
Topics to be covered
- Update on federal lobbying law
- Update on municipal, provincial and territorial lobbying laws
- Explanation of new federal legislation that regulates the activities of businesses and organizations during pre-election and election periods
- Explanation of rules related to grassroots lobbying
- Explanation of rules related to gifts, benefits and hospitality
- Explanation of rules related to political activities, including lobbying law implications for volunteering on a federal election campaign
- Analysis of recent administrative and court decisions.
- Advice on policies and processes that will reduce legal and reputational risk
Who should attend
- Government Relations Executives
- Business Leaders
- In-House Counsel
- Public Affairs Consultants
What People are saying
Click to read what people say about Guy Giorno and previous Fasken Lobbying Law Seminars
- 9:00 am - 9:30 am Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am Presentation with Q&A
Please RSVP by September 4, 2019