On May 4, 2020, British Columbia’s lobbying law will have a new name and new requirements. The Lobbyists Registration Act will become the Lobbyists Transparency Act. The Lobbyists Transparency Act will be one of the most expansive lobbying statutes in North America.
Changes include new reporting requirements, new filing deadlines, and new ethical rules. The 100-hour lobbying threshold will also be eliminated, meaning many businesses and organizations that were not previously required to register must register.
“Lobbying” is defined broadly in British Columbia. It includes attempting to influence government decisions, such as legislative proposals, bills, resolutions, regulations, programs, policies, directives and guidelines. It also includes seeking government contracts.
Lobbying in British Columbia is fraught with legal and reputational risk. Between 2015 and 2019, the regulator conducted 541 reviews and 44 investigations. The regulator currently has the ability to publish investigatory reports—and to impose monetary penalties of up to $25,000. Soon, the regulator will also have the ability to prohibit persons from communicating for a period of up to two years.
This presentation, delivered by the nation's leading legal experts on lobbying law, will provide an in-depth focus on reputational and legal risks. It will help your business or organization ensure it is compliance-focused.
[NOTE: If there is enough interest from those located in Surrey/Fraser Valley we will hold the same seminar on Thursday, February 20, 2020 in our Surrey office. Those interested will be advised.]
- Lobbyist registration requirements, including new requirements related to the disclosure of political contributions
- Regulatory developments, including new regulations on gifts and hospitality and grassroots communications
- Ethical restrictions on lobbying, including restrictions on political activities, contingency fees, and conflicts of interest
- Enforcement trends, including updates on enforcement proceedings at the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government
- In-House Counsel
- Government Relations Consultants
- Public Affairs Professionals
- Business Executives
- 9:00 AM | Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 9:30 AM | Presentation
- 11:00 AM | Q&A
- 11:30 AM | End
Fasken is committed to decreasing our carbon footprint and will be providing materials electronically. Registrants will receive an email to download materials.