Johanna Fipke is a Partner in Vancouver and a core member of the Firm’s Global Mining Group. She regularly advises major and junior mining companies, as well as private equity firms and lenders specializing in mining and project finance. She has particular expertise in mineral and coal transactions involving either projects or companies based in Western or Northern Canada.
Johanna’s diplomatic and flexible approach in negotiating and closing complex mining transactions make her a stand-out in the mining industry. Clients appreciate Johanna’s commitment to giving sensible, commercial solutions to the challenges that arise at all stages of the mining cycle and throughout complex transactions.
Some recent clients Johanna has advised include De Beers, First Quantum, Orion Mine Finance, Newcastle Gold, Agnico Eagle Mines, and AuRico Gold, as well as many others.
Expertise in Mining Law
Johanna works with many high-profile clients from exploration, to development, to operation and through closure and reclamation. She has experience a variety of industry transactions and mining law matters, including:
- mergers, acquisitions and commercial transactions involving domestic and international mining companies and properties
- drafting and negotiating mining and industry agreements, including purchase agreements, options, joint ventures, shareholder agreements, royalties, security agreements, as well as a variety of other agreements
- leading due diligence teams on the review of mining companies, mineral and coal properties, including advising vendors and borrowers on managing the due diligence process efficiently and in a cost-effective manner
- project financing
- title opinions and jurisdiction specific advice regarding security packages required for financing
- project development, permitting and land tenure expertise in Western and Northern Canada
Clients admire Johanna’s ability to see the big picture, analyze the critical facets of a transaction, and resolve the issues before proceeding. Johanna filters complex information for clients and offers solutions that protect their business assets. Her many long term relationships in the mining industry contribute to her completing successful deals for clients.
Johanna is called to the Bar in Nunavut, Northwest Territories and British Columbia. She is also a founder of Women in Mining BC where she is currently a director.